Fock states as integrals of coherent states

In summary: I think I get it now, thank you for your patience and guidance.In summary, the Fock state ##|n\rangle## can be represented by the integral given by ##|n\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} e^{-\frac{r^2}{2}} \int_0^{2 \pi} d\theta e^{-in\theta} |re^{i\theta}\rangle##, where ##|r e^{i\theta}\rangle## is a coherent state ##|\alpha\rangle##. This is achieved by sandwiching the integral between a bra and ket, using the identity operator, and taking the sum over all
BOAS
Edit: I'm pretty sure I have answered my own question. I think I need to sandwich the integral between a bra and ket to pick out one term from the sum.

1. Homework Statement

Show that a Fock state ##|n\rangle## can be represented by the integral

$$|n\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} e^{-\frac{r^2}{2}} \int_0^{2 \pi} d\theta e^{-in\theta} |re^{i\theta}\rangle$$

where ##|r e^{i\theta}\rangle## is a coherent state ##|\alpha\rangle##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The Fock state expansion is ##|\alpha\rangle = e^{-\frac{|\alpha|^2}{2}} \sum_{n = 0}^\infty \frac{\alpha^n}{\sqrt{n!}} |n\rangle## and I substitute this into the expression for ##|n\rangle## to get

$$|n\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} e^{-\frac{r^2}{2}} \int_0^{2 \pi} d\theta e^{-in\theta} e^{-\frac{|\alpha|^2}{2}} \sum_{m = 0}^\infty \frac{\alpha^m}{\sqrt{m!}} |m\rangle$$

Substituting ##\alpha = re^{i \theta}## allows for cancellation of the ##e^{r^2 /2}## term to give

$$|n\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} \int_0^{2 \pi} d\theta e^{-in\theta} \sum_{m = 0}^\infty \frac{\alpha^m}{\sqrt{m!}} |m\rangle$$

I'm stuck here because I'm unsure of how to deal with the sum inside the integral. If m = n, can I bring all of the terms containing n inside the sum?

That would give me the answer I want, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this.

Or is there something I can do to pick out one term from the sum? like acting with a bra and ket of n sandwiching the integral. I think this makes more sense

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
I think I need to sandwich the integral between a bra and ket to pick out one term from the sum.
So what happens when you do that? Note that you need to do it using a general ket ##\langle k|##. To reach the sought conclusion, this should be one when ##n=k## and zero otherwise.

Orodruin said:
So what happens when you do that? Note that you need to do it using a general ket ##\langle k|##. To reach the sought conclusion, this should be one when ##n=k## and zero otherwise.

The bra can pass through everything on the RHS until it meets the ket, giving a Kronecker delta, which picks out the 'n' term from the sum. This leaves behind my new ket, everything cancels and I'm left with ##|n\rangle = |n\rangle##

This seems to be doing exactly what I warned you about. Please write out your argumentation explicitly.

Orodruin said:
This seems to be doing exactly what I warned you about. Please write out your argumentation explicitly.

Ok, starting with

$$|n\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} \int_0^{2 \pi} d\theta e^{-in\theta} \sum_{m = 0}^\infty \frac{\alpha^m}{\sqrt{m!}} |m\rangle$$

I sandwich both sides between a pair of bra-kets.

$$\langle k|n\rangle|k\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} \int_0^{2 \pi} d\theta e^{-in\theta} \sum_{m = 0}^\infty \frac{\alpha^m}{\sqrt{m!}} \langle k|m\rangle |k\rangle$$

If I say that k = n, then due to orthonormality

$$|n\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} \int_0^{2 \pi} d\theta e^{-in\theta} \sum_{m = 0}^\infty \frac{\alpha^m}{\sqrt{m!}} \delta_{nm} |n\rangle$$

this reduces the sum to a single term

$$|n\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} \int_0^{2 \pi} d\theta e^{-in\theta} \frac{\alpha^n}{\sqrt{n!}} |n\rangle$$

which after cancelling everything and evaluating the integral just leaves

$$|n\rangle = |n\rangle$$

With that you would also need to check all of the other choices of ##k## to make sure that they are also valid. It will be easier if you sum over ##k## since ##\sum_k |k\rangle\langle k | = 1## is the identity operator.

Orodruin said:
With that you would also need to check all of the other choices of ##k## to make sure that they are also valid. It will be easier if you sum over ##k## since ##\sum_k |k\rangle\langle k | = 1## is the identity operator.

Ah, I think I see what you are saying.

So I would insert the identity $$\frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} \int_0^{2 \pi} d\theta e^{-in\theta} \sum_{m = 0}^\infty \frac{\alpha^m}{\sqrt{m!}} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}| k\rangle\langle k |n\rangle$$

which yields a ##\delta_{kn}##

but how do I then deal with the sum over m? Do I do this in conjunction with sandwiching everything between the bra-kets?

Last edited:
The ##|n\rangle## in the sum should be an ##|m\rangle##. I also suggest leaving the sum over ##k## for last so take it outside the integral and everything.

Orodruin said:
The ##|n\rangle## in the sum should be an ##|m\rangle##. I also suggest leaving the sum over ##k## for last so take it outside the integral and everything.

Sorry, that was a typo.

I'm not sure exactly how this works:

Do I sandwich everything between k, and then insert the identity as follows:

$$\langle k|n\rangle |k\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} \int_0^{2 \pi} d\theta e^{-in\theta} \sum_{m = 0}^\infty \frac{\alpha^m}{\sqrt{m!}} \langle k|m\rangle |k\rangle$$

$$\langle k|n\rangle |k\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} |k\rangle \langle k| \int_0^{2 \pi} d\theta e^{-in\theta} \sum_{m = 0}^\infty \frac{\alpha^m}{\sqrt{m!}} \langle k|m\rangle |k\rangle$$

which is zero everywhere except for when k = n

$$|n\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} |n\rangle \langle n| \int_0^{2 \pi} d\theta e^{-in\theta} \sum_{m = 0}^\infty \frac{\alpha^m}{\sqrt{m!}} \delta_{nm}|m\rangle$$

now with n=m, this pulls out one term from the sum,

$$|n\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} |n\rangle \langle n| \int_0^{2 \pi} d\theta e^{-in\theta} \frac{\alpha^n}{\sqrt{n!}} |n\rangle$$

$$|n\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} |n\rangle \langle n|n\rangle \int_0^{2 \pi} d\theta e^{-in\theta} \frac{\alpha^n}{\sqrt{n!}}$$

$$|n\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} |n\rangle \int_0^{2 \pi} d\theta e^{-in\theta} \frac{\alpha^n}{\sqrt{n!}}$$

then everything cancels leaving ##|n\rangle = |n\rangle##

BOAS said:
I would not start from this, it is what you want to prove. Instead, I suggest starting from the integral expression and multiplying it by the completeness relation. Since everything else is just numbers, you can move the ##|k\rangle\langle k|## around freely until it meets the ##|m\rangle## while still keeping the sum outside.

Orodruin said:
I would not start from this, it is what you want to prove. Instead, I suggest starting from the integral expression and multiplying it by the completeness relation. Since everything else is just numbers, you can move the ##|k\rangle\langle k|## around freely until it meets the ##|m\rangle## while still keeping the sum outside.
That is just the integral expression with the fock state expansion applied. Surely I have to do that so the ket bra from the completeness relation can meet ##|m\rangle##?

BOAS said:
That is just the integral expression with the fock state expansion applied. Surely I have to do that so the ket bra from the completeness relation can meet ##|m\rangle##?
Surely you have to do what? Move the sum inside? No. Move the ket-bra expression inside, yes, but everything you have to move it past is numbers.

Orodruin said:
Surely you have to do what? Move the sum inside? No. Move the ket-bra expression inside, yes, but everything you have to move it past is numbers.

Sorry, I think we're misunderstanding each other. I was a bit confused by what you meant about the starting point. Let me start again.

I am told that ##|n\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} e^{r^2 / 2} \int^{\infty}_{0}d\theta e^{-in\theta}|re^{i\theta}\rangle##

If I multiply by the completeness relation and bring the ket-bra inside, I get

##\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}|k\rangle \langle k||n\rangle = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} e^{r^2 / 2} \int^{\infty}_{0}d\theta e^{-in\theta}|k\rangle \langle k||re^{i\theta}\rangle##

I now apply the Fock state expansion of the coherent state to get

##|n\rangle = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} e^{r^2 / 2} \int^{\infty}_{0}d\theta e^{-in\theta}|k\rangle \langle k|e^{-r^2/2} \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \frac{(r e^{i\theta})^m}{\sqrt{m!}} |m\rangle##

and I can push the ket-bra further inside until it meets the m

##|n\rangle = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} e^{r^2 / 2} \int^{\infty}_{0}d\theta e^{-in\theta}e^{-r^2/2} \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \frac{(r e^{i\theta})^m}{\sqrt{m!}}|k\rangle \langle k| |m\rangle##

I now get the kronecker delta that picks out 1 term from the sum

##|n\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} e^{r^2 / 2} \int^{\infty}_{0}d\theta e^{-in\theta}e^{-r^2/2} \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \frac{(r e^{i\theta})^m}{\sqrt{m!}}|n\rangle \delta_{nm}##

which cancels down to just ##|n\rangle##

BOAS said:
I am told that ##|n\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} e^{r^2 / 2} \int^{\infty}_{0}d\theta e^{-in\theta}|re^{i\theta}\rangle##

You are not told that. You are asked to show that it is true so you should start from one of the sides and show that it is equal to the other.

Orodruin said:
You are not told that. You are asked to show that it is true so you should start from one of the sides and show that it is equal to the other.

Right, I understand what you're saying now. Sorry, for the delay in responding, I got sidetracked by other work.

Is this better?

Starting with the RHS and applying the Fock state expansion:

##\frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2\pi r^n} e^{r^2/2} \int^{2\pi}_0 d\theta e^{-in\theta} |re^{i\theta}\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2\pi r^n} e^{r^2/2} \int^{2\pi}_0 d\theta e^{-in\theta} e^{-r^2/2} \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \frac{(r e^{i\theta})^m}{\sqrt{m!}} |m\rangle##

inserting the completeness relation

##RHS = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2\pi r^n} \sum^{\infty}_{k=0} \int^{2\pi}_0 d\theta e^{-in\theta} \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \frac{(r e^{i\theta})^m}{\sqrt{m!}} |k\rangle \langle k|m\rangle##

##RHS = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2\pi r^n} \sum^{\infty}_{k=0} \int^{2\pi}_0 d\theta e^{-in\theta} \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \frac{(r e^{i\theta})^m}{\sqrt{m!}} |k\rangle \langle k|m\rangle##

from the ##\delta_{km}## I get

##RHS = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2\pi r^n} \sum^{\infty}_{k=0} \int^{2\pi}_0 d\theta e^{-in\theta} \frac{(r e^{i\theta})^k}{\sqrt{k!}} |k\rangle ##

If I now sandwich the expression between ##\langle n|##...##|n\rangle## I get another Kronecker delta that kills the sum over k, and turns all of the k's to n's, reducing to ##|n\rangle##

You cannot sandwich the expression between ##\langle n|## and ##|n\rangle##, it is a state vector! Instead, perform the integral over ##\theta##.

Orodruin said:
You cannot sandwich the expression between ##\langle n|## and ##|n\rangle##, it is a state vector! Instead, perform the integral over ##\theta##.

$$\int^{2\pi}_0 e^{i\theta(k-n)} = -\frac{i(-1 + e^{2 i \pi (k - n)})}{k-n}$$

$$RHS = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} -\frac{i(-1 + e^{2 i \pi (k - n)})}{k-n} \frac{r^k}{\sqrt{k!}} |k\rangle$$

when k = n this is zero...

BOAS said:
$$\int^{2\pi}_0 e^{i\theta(k-n)} = -\frac{i(-1 + e^{2 i \pi (k - n)})}{k-n}$$

$$RHS = \frac{\sqrt{n!}}{2 \pi r^n} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} -\frac{i(-1 + e^{2 i \pi (k - n)})}{k-n} \frac{r^k}{\sqrt{k!}} |k\rangle$$

when k = n this is zero...
When ##k = n## you cannot do the integral like that. When ##k \neq n## it is zero.

Orodruin said:
When ##k = n## you cannot do the integral like that. When ##k \neq n## it is zero.

Ah, I see!

Ok, I got there in the end. Thank you for your help and patience

Related to Fock states as integrals of coherent states

What are Fock states as integrals of coherent states?

Fock states as integrals of coherent states are a mathematical representation of quantum states in quantum optics. They are defined as a sum of coherent states with different amplitudes and phases, weighted by a Gaussian distribution. This representation allows for a description of quantum states in terms of classical variables, making calculations and predictions easier.

What is the significance of Fock states as integrals of coherent states?

The significance of Fock states as integrals of coherent states lies in their ability to accurately describe quantum states in terms of classical variables. This makes them useful for calculations and predictions in quantum optics, and they have been used in various applications such as quantum communication and quantum computing.

How are Fock states as integrals of coherent states related to the Fock basis?

The Fock basis is a set of states that represent the number of photons in a given quantum state. Fock states as integrals of coherent states are a linear combination of coherent states, which can be used to construct states in the Fock basis. This relationship allows for the translation of quantum states between the two representations.

What is the difference between Fock states as integrals of coherent states and Fock states as number states?

Fock states as integrals of coherent states are a mathematical representation of quantum states, while Fock states as number states are a physical representation. Fock states as number states represent a specific number of photons in a given state, while Fock states as integrals of coherent states represent a probability distribution of different photon numbers.

How are Fock states as integrals of coherent states used in experimental setups?

Fock states as integrals of coherent states are commonly used in experimental setups in quantum optics, particularly in experiments involving quantum entanglement or quantum teleportation. They are also used in the preparation and manipulation of quantum states for applications in quantum information processing.