Is filling a football with helium really beneficial for hang time?

• Thread starter bijanv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helium
In summary, the conversation discusses the common myth that filling a football with helium will increase its hang time. However, it is stated in an article that the difference in weight between a helium filled football and an air filled football is only about a third of an ounce, making this myth inaccurate. The conversation then explores the physics behind this, with one person suggesting that the buoyancy of the helium may counter the force of gravity and increase hang time, while another points out that the lighter mass may actually cause more air resistance and decrease hang time. Ultimately, it is concluded that these effects may be too small to have a significant impact on hang time and further experimentation would be needed to fully understand the effects of helium on a football's flight.
bijanv
Hey guys,

in an article it states:

Football Myths:

"If you fill a ball with helium, it will have a greater hang time." Helium is lighter than air, but when a football is inflated to required pressures, the helium filled ball would be only a third of an ounce ligher.

Why is this true? What other info can I obtain from this/what info is missing/what is (in)accurate?

From what I can think of myself. The reason of why this would happen is that since helium is lighter, the force the helium particles are exerting on the football are much less of that of air therefore you will need to pump more helium into the football to receive that same amount of pressure that is required.

Am I correct on this statement?

Also would the helium even be able to help keep the football in the air for a longer period of time as apposed to a football filled with air? I mean the skin of the football is still pretty heavy, so would the helium be able to lift the football and counter the force of gravity on the ball even for a short period of time?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Compare the weight of air molecules in a given volume with a given temperature with the weight of helium molecules in the same volume with the same temperature.

but this is to be more of a physics related question, so i don't think this would help that much although i will look into it

no one can even help start a discussion on this!?

another though... re-arranging F = ma we get a = F/m therefore if the football is thrown with the same force, but the mass of the ball is lighter, the ball will have greater acceleration which would cause a farther distance or hang time? is this correct?

Last edited:
bijanv said:
but this is to be more of a physics related question, so i don't think this would help that much although i will look into it

no one can even help start a discussion on this!?

another though... re-arranging F = ma we get a = F/m therefore if the football is thrown with the same force, but the mass of the ball is lighter, the ball will have greater acceleration which would cause a farther distance or hang time? is this correct?
The lighter helium ball experiences more buoyancy than the heavier air filled ball. This is just Archimedes principle. Since hang time depends on the net downward acceleration, the reduced downward force on the lighter ball (due to the upward buoyant force) reduces the downward acceleration and increases the hang time.

AM

Also, the flight medium is easier to travel through, so the football would move even more quickly.

Mk said:
Also, the flight medium is easier to travel through, so the football would move even more quickly.

I don't follow that. The flight medium is still air, the football still has the same size and shape. Why would filling a football with helium make the "flight medium" easier to travel through?

A crucial point here is "PV= NRT". Assuming same pressure, volume, temperature a football filled with helium would contain exactly the same number of helium atoms as one filled with air would contain air molecules. Heliums atomic weight is 4, nitrogen's (air is mostly nitrogen) is 14 so air would be approximately 14/4 or 3 1/2 times as heavy as helium (hmm, I don't remember whether He molecules are He2 or if Nitrogen is...).

Of course, it is quite possible that even the weight of air in a football is only a fraction of an ounce. Most of the weight of a football is in the cover.

B r I N Cl H O F
Those are the diatomic gases

IIRC, the effects of air resistance are like the inverse of the mass, so a less massive football would suffer more losses due to drag, thus not travel as far. But as Halls said most of the mass of a football is in the skin so all of these effects will be 2nd order, which means they may be barely measurable. Perhaps less of an effect then a wet or dry football.

great discussion thanks! i don't think there can be much more said about this unless there's thorough experimenting about this topic.

Related to Is filling a football with helium really beneficial for hang time?

1. What is a football filled with helium?

A football filled with helium is a regular football that has been filled with the gas helium, which is lighter than air. This causes the football to float and have different properties than a regular football.

2. How does a football filled with helium work?

A football filled with helium works by utilizing the properties of helium, which is lighter than air, to make the football float. When thrown, the helium inside the football creates less resistance and allows it to travel further. It also bounces differently due to the change in weight and air pressure.

3. What are the benefits of using a football filled with helium?

The benefits of using a football filled with helium include increased distance and accuracy in throws, as well as a different playing experience due to the change in weight and air pressure. It can also be useful for training and improving muscle strength and control.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a football filled with helium?

One potential disadvantage of using a football filled with helium is that it may be affected by wind more than a regular football. This can make it difficult to control and may require players to adjust their throwing technique. Additionally, the cost of filling a football with helium may be higher than using a regular football.

5. How is a football filled with helium made?

A football can be filled with helium by using a special machine that pumps helium into the ball through a small hole. The amount of helium used can vary depending on the desired level of inflation. Once filled, the hole is sealed and the football is ready for use.