Football kicked 52 yards horizontally to a goal 10 ft high

• Thread starter cellfoneguy
  • Start date
In summary, to find all angles at which the ball can be kicked to go over the goal, you can use the kinematics equations and set up a triangle with a horizontal length of 156 ft and a height of 10 ft. By setting up equations for the x and y directions and substituting known values, you can solve for possible values of theta.
cellfoneguy

Homework Statement

A football is kicked towards a goal (The little fork thingies, whetever they're called) 10 ft high. The horizontal distance is 52 yards. The initial velocity is 55 mph. Find all angles you can kick the ball at so that it goes over the goal.

Homework Equations

The kinematics equations
d=vit+(at^2)/2
d=(vi+vf)*t/2
Vf=Vi+at
Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad
f=ma
d=vt

The Attempt at a Solution

55 mph is 242/3 ft/s.
so i drew the triangle, with a horizontal length of 156 ft. The height is 10ft. I know i need to find the height in terms of theta.
I split this problem into the x and y directions.
for x, i know vf and vi are both cos(theta)242/3
d=156.
I used d=(vi+vf)*t/2.
it's basically d=cos(theta)242/3 * t
so i foudn that t=1.938/cos(theta)
and then I'm stuck. what do i do after that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so you have,

[tex]
t=\frac{1.938}{cos(\theta)}
[/tex]

in the x direction.

You also know in the y-direction,

[tex]
\Delta y = \frac{243}{3}sin(\theta) t - \frac{1}{2} g t^2
[/tex]

You know what [tex] \Delta y [/tex] is so substitute the two equations and solve for possible values of theta.

Last edited:

Related to Football kicked 52 yards horizontally to a goal 10 ft high

1. How is the distance of a football kick measured?

The distance of a football kick is measured in yards. One yard is equivalent to 3 feet, so a kick of 52 yards would be approximately 156 feet.

2. What is the significance of kicking a football 52 yards horizontally?

Kicking a football 52 yards horizontally means that the ball traveled 52 yards in a straight line from the point of origin to the goal. This distance is often used to measure the strength and accuracy of a kicker in football.

3. How high is the goal in a football game?

The goal in a football game is typically 10 feet high. This height is the standard for both professional and amateur football games.

4. How does the height of the goal affect a football kick?

The height of the goal can affect a football kick in terms of difficulty and strategy. A higher goal may require the kicker to adjust their aim and trajectory, while a lower goal may be easier to kick over but may also be easier for the opposing team to defend.

5. What factors can affect the distance and accuracy of a football kick?

The distance and accuracy of a football kick can be affected by several factors, including the strength and technique of the kicker, weather conditions such as wind and rain, and the condition of the playing surface. The type of football used and any external obstructions can also impact the kick.

Back