For every rational number, there exists sum of two irrational numbers

In summary, the conversation is about proving that for every rational number, there exists irrational numbers that can be added together to equal the rational number. The discussion includes considering using contraposition and the technique of guessing and checking. Finally, it is shown that the proof is simple by choosing specific irrational numbers that add up to the given rational number.
ckwn87

Homework Statement

Prove: For every rational number z, there exists irrational numbers x and y such that x + y = z.

Homework Equations

by definition, a rational number can be represented by ratio of two integers, p/q.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is there a way to do this by contraposition?

Would the contraposition be, For all rational numbers x and y, there does not exist an irrational number z such that x + y = z? I can handle from there, but I don't think my contraposition is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
ckwn87 said:
Is there a way to do this by contraposition?
The question, as stated doesn't have any "if ... then ..." clauses in it. So, you have to rewrite it. You could, for example, sue
For every real z, if (z is rational) then (there exists irrational x and y such that x+y=z​
which you could contrapositive. I'm not sure it helps, though.

Have you tried one the simplest of all techniques -- guess and check?

Hurkyl said:
Have you tried one the simplest of all techniques -- guess and check?

Hmm, you're right, I don't think contraposition will help. I'm not sure what you mean by guess and check. Since it says for ALL Z, I'm not sure how I would generalize a sum of two irrational numbers.

You can guess for the existentials, though.

(And you can always try specific z's to get an idea before tackling the universal case)

Prove: For every rational number z, there exists irrational numbers x and y such that x + y = z.
Proof: x=z/2+sqrt(2), y=z/2-sqrt(2), so x+y=z and x, and y are irrational.

It looks that simple dimitri.

It is, isn't it?

FAQ: For every rational number, there exists sum of two irrational numbers

What does it mean for every rational number to have a sum of two irrational numbers?

This statement means that for any rational number, there exists two irrational numbers that can be added together to equal that rational number.

How can I prove that this statement is true?

This statement can be proven using proof by contradiction. Assume that there exists a rational number that cannot be expressed as the sum of two irrational numbers. Then, by definition, this rational number must be a rational sum of two irrational numbers. However, this contradicts the original assumption, so the statement must be true.

Is this statement only true for specific rational numbers?

No, this statement is true for every rational number. This means that no matter what rational number you choose, you can always find two irrational numbers that sum to that rational number.

Can two different pairs of irrational numbers sum to the same rational number?

Yes, there are infinite combinations of irrational numbers that can sum to the same rational number. For example, both √2 + (π - 3) and √3 + (π - 4) sum to the rational number π - 1.

Is this statement applicable to all types of irrational numbers?

Yes, this statement holds true for all types of irrational numbers, including algebraic and transcendental numbers. This is because all irrational numbers cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers, which is what makes them irrational. Therefore, any two irrational numbers can be added together to equal a rational number.

Back