For n1 = 2.15 and n2 = 1.26, what is the critical angle so that all of

In summary: So by squaring you will get N_{max}^{2}=(\frac{4a}{λ})^{2} (n_{1}^{2}-n_{2}^{2}) and then you can isolate n2 by dividing by λ.
Sloan650
For n1 = 2.15 and n2 = 1.26, what is the critical angle so that all of the incident light, from medium 1 to medium 2 is reflected?

Im using Sin ic = n1/n2

For Sin ic i get =1.706

But the reverse Sin of that comes up math error?

HELP

Physics news on Phys.org

Sloan650 said:
Im using Sin ic = n1/n2
You're mixing up n1 and n2. Start from Snell's law and derive the expression for total internal reflection.

Thank you!

I need help rearranging the equation too, I am finding it impossible!

Nmax = 4a/lamda x sqaureroot (N1^2 - N2^2)

I need to find n2

Firstly you gave this equation:

Nmax = 4a/lamda x sqaureroot (N1^2 - N2^2)

Am I correct to think this is equivalent?

[itex] N_{max}=\frac{4a}{λ} \sqrt{n_{1}^{2}-n_{2}^{2}} [/itex]

(I would suggest in future as opposed to using "x" to indicate multiplies, I would use "*". Simply for clarity)

If this is the case begin by squaring both sides of the equation, and then attempt to isolate the [itex] n_{2} [/itex] term.

I have no idea how to rearrange this.

i know by squaring both sides the sqaure root will disappear. But on the other side Nmax = 1.

How does it rearrange so i get a positive number to square root to find n2?

Sloan650 said:
i know by squaring both sides the sqaure root will disappear. But on the other side Nmax = 1.
So?
How does it rearrange so i get a positive number to square root to find n2?
Start by squaring both sides and then go from there.

Find an equation for n2, and then try to understand what this means.

Im so confused :(

every time i try to rearrange to find n2 i get math error!

Sloan650 said:
every time i try to rearrange to find n2 i get math error!
Show what you did symbolically, step by step.

This is due to you doing it on a calculator. Rearrange it on paper, so that you have

n2= ...

Do I have to multiply out the brackets?

The term [itex] \sqrt{n_{1}^{2}-n_{2}^{2}}=\sqrt{(n_{1}^{2}-n_{2}^{2})} [/itex]

So by squaring you will get

[itex] N_{max}^{2}=(\frac{4a}{λ})^{2} (n_{1}^{2}-n_{2}^{2}) [/itex]

It would be more convenient if you multiplied both sides of [itex] (\frac{λ}{4a})^{2} [/itex] rather than multiplying out the brackets.

Related to For n1 = 2.15 and n2 = 1.26, what is the critical angle so that all of

What is the equation for calculating critical angle?

The equation for calculating critical angle is θc = sin⁻¹(n2/n1), where n1 is the refractive index of the first medium and n2 is the refractive index of the second medium.

What is the significance of critical angle?

Critical angle is the angle of incidence at which the refracted ray will travel along the interface between two media. Any angle of incidence greater than the critical angle will result in total internal reflection.

How is critical angle related to refractive index?

The critical angle is directly proportional to the refractive index of the first medium and inversely proportional to the refractive index of the second medium. This means that as the refractive index of the first medium increases, the critical angle also increases, while a higher refractive index of the second medium will result in a smaller critical angle.

What factors can affect critical angle?

The critical angle can be affected by the refractive indices of the two media, the angle of incidence, and the wavelength of light. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities in the medium.

How is the critical angle used in practical applications?

The critical angle is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in fiber optics, where it is used to ensure that light is transmitted through the fiber and does not escape through the sides. It is also used in the design of prisms and lenses, as well as in the field of optics and photonics.

Back