For part b, I am lost.Multiple Pulleys: Solving Physics Problems

In summary,1) When the system is released, the 10 kg mass is accelerated while the 60 kg mass is tensioned by 120 N.2) The tension on the 60 kg mass is decreased by 120 N when the supporting force is removed.
Lolagoeslala
Multiple Pulleys!

Homework Statement

A 60 kg mass and a 10 kg mass are attached together by massless inextensible strings which pass over light frictionless pulleys. One pulley is free to move while the other is fixed.

a) The system is initially held at rest by means of a force supporting the 60 kg mass. Calculate the magnitude of the tensions T1 and T2.

b)When the system is released. calculate the magnitude of
1)Tension T1 ans T2
2)Aceeleration of the 10 Kg
3) Acceleration of the 60 Kg

Here is the diagram if it helps:
http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q674/lolagoeslala1/Untitled_zpseb420164.jpg

Homework Equations

Depends.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving this for part a:
For Ti i did:
Fg=T1
mg=T1
(10kg)(9.8 m/s^2)=T1
98 N=T1

for T2:
Fg=T1+T2
mg=T1+T2
(60kg)(9.8m/s^2)-98N=T2
490 N=T2

Physics news on Phys.org

T1=120 N
T2=240 N
10kg...0.5g
60kg...0.25g

can you verify the answers?

ad1max said:
T1=120 N
T2=240 N
10kg...0.5g
60kg...0.25g

can you verify the answers?

Im sorry but how are you getting this tensions? I mean how did you get the T1 to be 120 while the 240 as the Tensions 2 to be 240? It says that the pulley is fixed... doesn't that mean the tensions have to be the same?

Lola, in your solution to part (a) you forgot to include the force that is supporting the 60 kg mass. There's also a relationship between T1 and T2 that you will find helpful.

ad1max said:
you are right but the attempt is wrong...see my fig post...sorry for bad writing..hope it makes sense
http://i.imgur.com/Fon1i.jpg

So you have to break the tensions 2 and tensions 1 into tensions 1,2,3 and 4? :O WOW. wait is that for when there is no acceleration whatsoever?,,,

Nugatory said:
Lola, in your solution to part (a) you forgot to include the force that is supporting the 60 kg mass. There's also a relationship between T1 and T2 that you will find helpful.

My well what i did was
Fnet=Fg+T1+T2
which means it would be going up eventually making the Fg negative.
so
Fg=T2+T1
(60 Kg)(9.8m/s^2)=T2+98 N
490 N=T2 going up..

Part (a) is asking you for the tensions while nothing is moving because the 60 kg mass is being supported by an external force. You've calculated t1 correctly, but not t2. One way of seeing that is to try your values of t1 and t2 out on the movable pulley; in part (a) that pulley isn't supposed to be moving so the forces on it must balance.

Once you have part (a) nailed, part (b) about what happens when the supporting force is removed will be a lot easier.

Likes rahulshiva

FAQ: For part b, I am lost.Multiple Pulleys: Solving Physics Problems

1. How do I determine the tension on each pulley in a multiple pulley system?

To determine the tension on each pulley in a multiple pulley system, you can use the equation T1 = T2 = T3 = F, where T1, T2, and T3 are the tensions on each pulley and F is the force applied to the system. This means that the tension on each pulley is equal to the force applied to the system.

2. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a multiple pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a multiple pulley system can be calculated using the equation MA = (input force)/(output force). The input force is the force applied to the system, while the output force is the force exerted by the last pulley in the system. The mechanical advantage of a multiple pulley system is equal to the number of supporting ropes in the system.

3. What is the difference between fixed and movable pulleys?

Fixed pulleys are attached to a fixed point, such as a ceiling or wall, and do not move. Movable pulleys are attached to the object being lifted and move with it. Fixed pulleys change the direction of the force applied, while movable pulleys provide a mechanical advantage by distributing the weight of the object across multiple ropes.

4. How do I account for the weight of the pulleys in my calculations?

The weight of the pulleys should be included in the total weight of the object being lifted. This means that the force applied to the system should be equal to the weight of the object plus the weight of the pulleys. This will give a more accurate calculation of the tension on each pulley and the mechanical advantage of the system.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems involving multiple pulleys?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems involving multiple pulleys include not accounting for the weight of the pulleys, not using the correct formula for calculating the tension on each pulley, and forgetting to include all supporting ropes in the calculation of mechanical advantage. It is also important to use consistent units throughout the calculation and to double check all calculations for accuracy.

Back