For those familiar with the WKB method

• MHB
  • Thread starter Poirot1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method Wkb
In summary: O(1)In summary, the conversation was about the WKB approximation method and its application to finding the dominant balance for a given equation. The question posed was whether for large values of the parameter lambda, x should be treated as a constant, i.e. x=O(1). The speaker also shared an example where both t and t/x were potential driving terms, but only t was retained in the dominant balance. The questioner's original question was whether both x and a constant should be retained in the dominant balance if given the choice.
Poirot1
let x be the parameter in some interval and let lambda tend to infinity. Should I treat x as of the same order as constants, i.e x=O(1)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Poirot said:
let x be the parameter in some interval and let lambda tend to infinity. Should I treat x as of the same order as constants, i.e x=O(1)?

Hi Poirot, :)

I am sorry but I don't understand your question. Are you taking about the WKB approximation method? Can you please elaborate further?

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Last edited:
Sudharaka said:
Hi Poirot, :)

I am sorry but I don't understand your question. Are you taking about the WKB approximation method? Can you please elaborate further?

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

This is indeed what I am talking about Sudharaka. I have two questions for you- one which can be best illustrated by an example. For large t, find wkb approximation of

$y''-y(t^{2}x^{2}+tx^{-1})=0$ for x not zero

We do this by substituting y=exp(...) (I'm sure you're familiar with this) and finding dominant balances. In the second dominant balance equation, I had potential driving terms t and t/x, and I thought both should be retained in the dominant balance as they are both of O(t). But the answer was wrong and it was clear that I should only retain t.
Why?

My second (and original) question is if I have to choose between x and a constant between retained in the dominant balance, ought I to retain both? I.e. x=O(1)

Related to For those familiar with the WKB method

1. What is the WKB method and what is it used for?

The WKB (Wentzel-Kramers-Brillouin) method is a mathematical technique used to approximate solutions to differential equations. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics, particularly to solve the Schrödinger equation for systems with varying potentials.

2. How does the WKB method work?

The WKB method involves transforming a differential equation into a series of simpler equations, which can then be solved iteratively to obtain an approximate solution. This is done by assuming a solution in the form of a power series and using a perturbation approach to find coefficients that satisfy the original equation.

3. What are the limitations of the WKB method?

The WKB method is most accurate for systems with smooth and slowly varying potentials. It may not work well for systems with steep or rapidly changing potentials, as well as for systems with multiple turning points.

4. How is the WKB method related to other mathematical techniques?

The WKB method is closely related to the more general technique of perturbation theory, which is commonly used in various fields of physics and mathematics. It is also related to the method of stationary phase, which is used to approximate integrals in many areas of science and engineering.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the WKB method?

Yes, the WKB method has many real-world applications, particularly in quantum mechanics. It is used to solve problems related to atomic and molecular physics, as well as in solid-state physics and the study of quantum field theories. It is also used in other areas such as optics, acoustics, and fluid dynamics.