For what values of a are teh vectors parallel

In summary, for the vectors v = 5a i -3 j and w = a^2 i -6 j to be parallel, the values of a can be either 0 or 10. This can be determined using the methods of setting the unit vectors equal to each other or using the slope of the vectors.
Painguy
For what values of "a" are teh vectors parallel

Homework Statement

v = 5a i -3 j
w = a^2 i -6 j

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was too get the unit vectors of both and set them equal to each other and solve for a, but that got messy.

(5a i- 3j)/sqrt(25a^2 +9) = (a^2i -6j)/sqrt(a^4 +36)

I tried solving for a separately and got a=5, but its obvious that is wrong because i end up with
25 i -3 j =25 i -6 j

I'm not supposed to use the dot product for this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
For two vectors parallel, one is a scalar multiple of the other. wu.

Write it out in components.

ehild

If you can't use the dot product, how about the cross product instead?

Oh right. That seems to work out. So a=-10. The two also seem to be parallel if a=0 since you would end up with
-3j=6j
but that isn't something that results from doing what you told me. Is that a trivial case i should just notice or is there an algebraic way of solving that? Thanks for your help thus far.

I can't use the cross product either.

Using the proportional method suggested by ehild, you do get both answers analytically:

If you do the math right, after solving for λ and substituting, you should end up with an equation that looks like $$ a^2 = 10 a$$

This has solutions ## a={10, 0}##. Perhaps you divided out the ##a## earlier on before you noticed the zero solution, which prevents that division?

PhysicsandSuch said:
Using the proportional method suggested by ehild, you do get both answers analytically:

If you do the math right, after solving for λ and substituting, you should end up with an equation that looks like $$ a^2 = 10 a$$

This has solutions ## a={10, 0}##. Perhaps you divided out the ##a## earlier on before you noticed the zero solution, which prevents that division?

Oh I see. Yeah I did do that division a bit earlier. That makes much more sense. Thanks very much for your help guys.

Sure thing!

Painguy said:
Oh right. That seems to work out. So a=-10.
No, that is wrong. Check.

Painguy said:
The two also seem to be parallel if a=0 since you would end up with
-3j=6j
but that isn't something that results from doing what you told me. Is that a trivial case i should just notice or is there an algebraic way of solving that?

Both solution result from the method I suggested.

ehild

The vectors are conviniently in a 2D world so you can work with slopes - assume any of the i or j unit vectors as x or y or what notation you might prefer. Tan(slope angle) is the vector's ordinate/abscissa so you get 5a/-3 = a^2/-6 or reverse the denoms and numerators since it's called the main property of an equality or something where a/b = c/d is the same as b/a = d/c. The slopes are equal because the vectors are parallel and you arrive at the same solution a = {0, 10}

FAQ: For what values of a are teh vectors parallel

1. What does it mean for two vectors to be parallel?

Two vectors are parallel if they have the same direction, even if they are different lengths. This means that they will always be either pointing in the same direction or in opposite directions.

2. How can I determine if two vectors are parallel?

To determine if two vectors are parallel, you can calculate their direction angles or use the dot product. If the direction angles are equal or the dot product is equal to the product of their magnitudes, then the vectors are parallel.

3. What values of 'a' make the vectors parallel?

The value of 'a' does not determine if vectors are parallel. It depends on the direction of the vectors. If the direction angles or the dot product are equal, then the vectors are parallel regardless of the value of 'a'.

4. Can two vectors with different magnitudes be parallel?

Yes, two vectors can be parallel even if they have different magnitudes. As long as they have the same direction, they are considered parallel.

5. What is the significance of parallel vectors in physics or mathematics?

In physics, parallel vectors are used to represent forces or motion in the same direction. In mathematics, parallel vectors are used to solve systems of equations or to determine if a transformation is parallel.

Back