Forbidden rotational transitions in fullerene molecules

• Thread starter nemesl
  • Start date
In summary, forbidden rotational transitions in fullerene molecules refer to the phenomenon where certain rotational transitions are not allowed due to symmetry considerations in the structure of the molecule. This is due to the fact that fullerene molecules have a unique shape and symmetry, leading to specific selection rules for rotational transitions. This restriction on rotational transitions can provide valuable information about the electronic and geometric properties of fullerene molecules, making it an important aspect of their study.
nemesl
How did you find PF?
Via websearch
I am a retired chemist my interest is however in molecular spectroscopy and plasma spectroscopy with theoretical chemistry mixed in. In the last 25 years I have done spectroscopic research on laser induced plasmas, specifically carbon plasmas. These studies have been done and are being done in cooperation with US scientists at Hampton University Department of Physics and a laser oriented US firm: Brimrose Company.

My special interest is in fullerenes (such as C60 and C70). At this time I am trying to find out whether some intramolecular mechanisms (such as centrifugal distortion, zero-point vibrational effects or electronic effects such the static Jahn Teller distortion may activate the otherwise symmetry forbidden electric dipole rotational transitions. This would have interest in astrophysics and astronomy in the cosmic search for fullerenes.

My research interest and publications may be seen on the website of "Google scholar citations Laszlo Nemes"

I do not have a website alas but the Google Scholar one gives a very good overview about myself. Presently I am secondary proposer for a new European COST project on cosmic carbon molecules.
I would be happy to have suggestions for the group theory of vibrational and electronic states of C60 and C70,as well as any related theoretical help in these matters. I attach three papers related to fullerene spectroscopy, group theoretical vibrational analysis and the spectroscopic analysis carbon plasmas.

Attachments

• ChemPhysLett(1994).pdf
    703 KB · Views: 16
  • JPhySAtMolOptPhys(1996).pdf
    87.6 KB · Views: 18
  • SpecChimActa(2017).pdf
    762.2 KB · Views: 21
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Professor. :smile: