Force, accleration vectors or not

In summary, when solving problems in physics, it is important to consider force and acceleration as vectors, even though direction may sometimes be implied or not important. However, for more complex problems, it is crucial to include the direction of these vectors in the analysis. While some textbooks may simplify force and acceleration by only focusing on their magnitude, it is best to include direction to ensure proper understanding and accuracy.
I don't think i am making a big deal. I keep reading and hearing components are vector then scalars, which is it? I know there are vector componenents and scalar components.

There reason i ask if the scalar components are scalars, is becuase they ahve both direction referenced thru the "sub x" and are positive or negative...example Fx=-20N, seems to be little difference between it and the vector Fxi, which is -20Ni.

Finally, i have read from multiple sources your can represent a vector thru scalar notation, is that true?

Physics news on Phys.org
alkaspeltzar said:
I don't think i am making a big deal. I keep reading and hearing components are vector then scalars, which is it? I know there are vector componenents and scalar components.

There reason i ask if the scalar components are scalars, is becuase they ahve both direction referenced thru the "sub x" and are positive or negative...example Fx=-20N, seems to be little difference between it and the vector Fxi, which is -20Ni.

Finally, i have read from multiple sources your can represent a vector thru scalar notation, is that true?

It seems to me that you are doing just that, actually.
It is a matter of definition that vectors are specified in terms of Magnitude and direction. The number of Newtons is the Magnitude and i is the direction of a force along the x axis. The use of unit vectors makes life easier in many instances (if you don't use them, you need to use Polar Co ordinates if you want to do actual calculations, for instance - how would you feel about that, in 3D?) so why don't you want to go along with it. If you define and stick to the notation used, there is no confusion and there is no conflict. You don't actually ever have to use unit vectors but you then need to have arrows / lines above / below your symbol - plus Bold type as well.
btw, I find your keyboard use a bit erratic and that's as difficult to cope with as when as people use unit vectors and you seem to be complaining about 'sloppy thinking'.

I kinda agree with some of the others that you seem to be becoming obsessed with this and seem to be over-analyzing it. Numerous experts have indicated that it is important to use vector notation as well as resolving things into component form. My suggestion is that you tentatively accept what they are saying and move on. Continue to do problems both ways, and continue getting practice in solving problems until, maybe, you get a better idea of what they are driving at. If not, you can always stop using the vector approach, and continue exclusively with the component approach. But I don't think this will happen. I think that eventually you will realize the power of the vector approach.

Chet

Thanks, i am sorry for the keyboard, sometimes it comes from my phone.

I know there is vector and components/scalar form, and i should understand both. I was simply trying to understand the differences and why we do/represent one versus another. I understand how to deal with vectors as vectors, but i also understand how to work/represent vectors in scalar notation. I guess that is all that matters for problem solving. Thanks for the help. I will take what i have learned and do it.

Back