Force and moment on submerged surface

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving force and bending moment on a submerged surface, specifically a vertical dam in a muddy lake. The formula for calculating the force is provided and the individual is struggling with calculating the moment. A formula for calculating torque is introduced and the importance of selecting a reference axis is emphasized. The individual is advised to integrate from the bottom of the dam to the top to calculate the moment.
boileroo

Homework Statement

I am having trouble understanding problems involving the force and bending moment on a submerged surface.

The problem in question is as follows:

variation in density of a muddy lake is given as rho = rhoo + kh, where rhoo = 1000, k = 100 and h = depth of lake.

A vertical plate is used as a dam, and the depth of the water is 10m.

Find the force/meter width and moment/meter width.

My problem lies in part b, calculating the moment

The Attempt at a Solution

F = int(rho*g*y) dy = int((rhoo +kh)*g*y) dy = (rhoo*g*h2)/2 + (k*g*h3)/3 = 815.5x103 N

It is this next part with the moment I am struggling on. The formula i have been taught to use is:

M = int(r*P) dA

I think that this goes to M = int((rhoo +kh)(y-h) dy but am unsure why, if it is infact it is the case.
Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate torque, you need to select a reference axis, because you get different answers depending on where you define "r" to be 0. Suppose you choose the bottom of the dam as your reference.

The moment exerted on a small section of the dam, of length dy and width w, would then be y*P*wdy: the distance from the reference axis, times the force exerted on the infinitesimal section. P is just rho_0+k(h-y), and integrating from y=0 to y=h would give you the moment.

thank you, I think that helps!

FAQ: Force and moment on submerged surface

1. What is the definition of force and moment on submerged surface?

Force on a submerged surface is the amount of pressure that the surrounding fluid exerts on the surface. Moment on a submerged surface is the torque or turning effect caused by the force acting on the surface.

2. How is the force and moment on a submerged surface calculated?

The force on a submerged surface is calculated using the formula F = ρghA, where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the surface, and A is the area of the surface. The moment is calculated by multiplying the force by the perpendicular distance from the surface to the point where the moment is to be calculated.

3. What is the significance of force and moment on submerged surfaces in fluid mechanics?

Understanding the force and moment on submerged surfaces is important in fluid mechanics as it helps in analyzing the behavior of fluids and structures in fluids. It is also crucial in designing and building structures that can withstand the forces and moments exerted by fluids.

4. How does the shape and orientation of a submerged surface affect the force and moment on it?

The shape and orientation of a submerged surface have a significant impact on the force and moment exerted on it. A curved surface will experience a different distribution of force compared to a flat surface. The orientation of the surface also affects the direction and magnitude of the force and moment.

5. What are some real-life applications of force and moment on submerged surfaces?

Force and moment on submerged surfaces are important in many real-life applications, such as designing ships and submarines, analyzing the stability of dams and bridges, and understanding the behavior of underwater structures like oil rigs and offshore wind turbines. It is also crucial in studying the movement of fluids in pipes and channels.

Back