Force and Motion, horizontal forces

In summary, we are given the problem of a dragster starting from rest and attaining a speed of 26.3 m/s in 0.59 seconds. Using the formula A=v-vo/t, we find the average acceleration to be 44.6m/s^2. We then calculate the average net force on the dragster to be 38,935.8 N or 39,900N. Moving on to the problem of a sled being pulled on flat, snow-covered ground, we find the weight of the sled to be 490N. To start the sled moving, we need to overcome static friction which is calculated using Fs= us x mg. This gives us a force of 147N, meaning
matadorqk

Homework Statement

20. A 873-kg (1930 lb) dragster, starting from rest, attains a speed of 26.3 m/s (58.9mph) in 0.59 s.
-----a. Find the average acceleration of the dragster during this time interval.
My solution:
Given variables:
M=873kg
Vo=0
Starting time: 0
V=26.3m/s
T=0.59
Formula to be used: V=Vo + at converted into A=v-vo/t
It equals:
a= 26.3/0.59=44.6m/s^2
-----b. What is the magnitude of the average net force on the dragster during this time?
My solution:
Given variables:
m=873 kg
a=44.6m/s^2
F net= ma
F net = 38,935.8 N
F net = 39,900N
-----c. Assume that the driver has a mass of 68kg. What horizontal force does the seat exhert on the driver?
Here is where i have a problem..[B/]
I would assume I have to do:
F net=ma using 68kg as my M and 44.6m/s as my A to solve for the force exherted by the seat, which would equal 1,788.4N (Horizontal Force seat exherts) Yet I don't know if that's done correctly.. I would love someone to revise over the work, especially C to see if I did it correctly..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

Awesome,

Well that's great, then I guess that means I am doing the rest of the homework right :P! Hehe thanks

Help again i think

I think I am stuck again,

37. a sled of masss 50.0kg is pulled along flat, snow-covered ground. The static friction coefficient is 0.30, and the kinetic friction coefficient is 0.10
-----a. What does the sled weigh?
Im assuming they mean force, so it would be 50kg x 9.8 to convert to N,so 490N, and get its "weight"? I think this is how it is, although it seems too easy, if anyone would revise this id be grateful :)
-----b. What force will be needed to start the sled moving?
My given values are:
m=50kg
us(coefficient of static friction)=0.3
uk(coefficient of kinetic friction)=0.1
Fp=uk*m*g which is Fp=0.1*50*9.8= 49N
So is the force needed to start 49 Newtons?

Last edited:
looks good so far

I think the "So is the force needed to start 49 Newtons?" is wrong, because now that I think of it wouldn't I insttead use the Fs= us x mg which would equal 147 N (which is 0.3 x 50 x 9.8)..

You need to overcome static friction to get the object to move.

oh so then its like.. above 147? like 148+? Cause static friction is 147N, so yeah, I guess 148N would be overcoming it

thanks again for the fast reply

Related to Force and Motion, horizontal forces

1. What is the difference between force and motion?

Force is a push or pull on an object, while motion is the movement of an object in response to a force.

2. What are some examples of horizontal forces?

Examples of horizontal forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

3. How do horizontal forces affect an object's motion?

Horizontal forces can change an object's speed and direction of motion. They can also cause an object to start, stop, or change its direction of motion.

4. How do you calculate the net force on an object with multiple horizontal forces?

The net force on an object is the sum of all the horizontal forces acting on it. This can be calculated by adding up all the individual forces or by using vector addition.

5. What is Newton's First Law of Motion and how does it relate to horizontal forces?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. This means that if the sum of the horizontal forces on an object is zero, the object will either remain at rest or continue moving at a constant speed in a straight line.