Force applied to a net after dropping

In summary, a boy with a mass of 78kg falls with an acceleration of 4g in a free fall until he hits a net. The formula F=m*a is used to calculate the force exerted on the net, giving a result of 3.1kN. However, the teacher's answer of 3.9kN suggests that the problem is looking for the average force exerted on the net by the boy, which can be calculated using a free body diagram or the equation ΣF=ma.
Toke

Homework Statement

Q: A boy falls with the acceleration 4g in a free fall until he hits a net. His mass is 78kg. You can ignore other forces. With what force does he influence the net?

Homework Equations

F=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I use the formula F=m*a which gives med 78kg*4*(9.82m/s2)=3,1kN. My teacher did though tell me that the answer were 3,9kN, but i can't figure out what formula to use then. What have i missed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Toke said:

Homework Statement

Q: A boy falls with the acceleration 4g in a free fall until he hits a net. His mass is 78kg. You can ignore other forces. With what force does he influence the net?

Homework Equations

F=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I use the formula F=m*a which gives med 78kg*4*(9.82m/s2)=3,1kN. My teacher did though tell me that the answer were 3,9kN, but i can't figure out what formula to use then. What have i missed?
The 3100 N is the resultant force exerted on the boy by his weight and the net. The problem is looking for the average force exerted on the net by the boy.

Hello Toke, welcome to PF :)

As formulated in post #1, this is an impossible exercise.
First, it is strange that a free fall can take place with an acceleration 4g, but perhaps this is taking place on another planet.
Second, and more important: nothing is said about the net. Is it a steel grid like they use to reinforce concrete ?
Or is it made up of a lot of nice soft rubber bands ? :nb)

My guess is that the intention of the exercise was something like: a boy makes a free fall until he hits a net.
When he hits the net, his deceleration is 4g. What is the force he exercises on the net ?

If I'm guessing correctly, you can get the desired answer from a free body diagram or from ##\Sigma F = ma##

PhanthomJay said:
The 3100 N is the resultant force exerted on the boy by his weight and the net.
To clarify, that is with the interpretation BvU offers:
BvU said:
a boy makes a free fall until he hits a net.
When he hits the net, his deceleration is 4g. What is the force he exercises on the net ?

haruspex said:
To clarify, that is with the interpretation BvU offers:
Right, and apparently the way teacher interprets it with the given answer. Not worded well for sure.

Related to Force applied to a net after dropping

1. What is the force applied to a net after dropping?

After dropping a net, the force applied to it is the weight of the net, which is the product of its mass and the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the force applied to a net change after dropping?

The force applied to a net after dropping does not change unless there is a change in the mass or acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the force applied to a net after dropping?

The two main factors that affect the force applied to a net after dropping are the mass of the net and the acceleration due to gravity, which is dependent on the location.

4. Is the force applied to a net after dropping always the same?

No, the force applied to a net after dropping may vary depending on the factors mentioned earlier, such as the mass and acceleration due to gravity.

5. How is the force applied to a net after dropping calculated?

The force applied to a net after dropping can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared.

Back