Force Applied to an Object with friction

In summary: You can check it yourself if you use the units properly. It's a good habit to get into.In summary, the conversation discusses a 2kg block moving across a flat surface with a friction coefficient of 0.2. The problem asks for the acceleration, speed, and distance traveled after 5 seconds if a 10N force is applied. After considering friction, the net force is calculated to be 6.08 Newtons, resulting in an acceleration of 3.04 m/s2. The question of whether to square root the acceleration is raised, and it is clarified that the block is initially at rest before the force is applied. The final equations used to determine the distance traveled are discussed and the final answer is
EnDev

Homework Statement

2kg block moving across a flat surface with a friciton coefficient of .2

a. If 10N force applied what is acceleration

b How fast will the block move if the force is applied for 5seonds

c. how far will the block have traveled after 5 seconds

Homework Equations

Not sure...

The Attempt at a Solution

So after applying friction i get a net force of 6.08 Newtons. plug that back into F = M*A
giving an accelration of 3.04 m/s2 , Not sure if i Square root the 3.04 to get 1.74 m/s so that i get the acceleration. then if the force is applied for 5 seconds then 1.74 * 5 to get 8.7 m/s

and after 5 seconds the block would travel 40.35 meters??

Physics news on Phys.org
EnDev said:
So after applying friction i get a net force of 6.08 Newtons. plug that back into F = M*A
giving an accelration of 3.04 m/s2 , Not sure if i Square root the 3.04 to get 1.74 m/s so that i get the acceleration.
Why would you take the square root?

You don't say what the initial velocity is, which is needed to solve the second and third parts of the problem.

Ok, scratch that then, but there would be no velocity as the object is at rest until the force is applied.

EnDev said:
Ok, scratch that then, but there would be no velocity as the object is at rest until the force is applied.
This is five seconds after applying the force, so it has been accelerating at 3.04 m/s2 for 5 seconds. An acceleration of 3.04 m/s2 means that each second it travels... how much faster?

so 3.04 * 5 = 15.2 m/s the object is traveling after 5 seconds?

or would 15.2 be the distance it traveeled after 5 seconds?

Wait, it would still travel at 3.04 m/s right? no matter the distance?

and after 5 secs it would travel 15.2 meters

EnDev said:
so 3.04 * 5 = 15.2 m/s the object is traveling after 5 seconds?
Yes.
or would 15.2 be the distance it traveeled after 5 seconds?
You seem quite confused about distance versus speed versus acceleration.
If it accelerates at 3.04 m/s2 then each second it gets 3.04m/s faster. "3.04 metres per second, per second." After 1 second it's speed is 3.04 m/s. After 2 seconds it's 6.08 m/s... You might keep track of it better if you include the units as though they're algebraic variables: 3.04 m/s2 * 5 s = 15.4 m/s; m/s2 * s = m/s.
What kinematic equation do you know relating distance to time and to constant acceleration?

would it be d = v^i*t + 1/2*a*t^2 ?

so the block would have traveled 35.60 meters?

EnDev said:
so the block would have traveled 35.60 meters?
Not quite. You have
[tex]x = \frac{1}{2} at^2 = \frac{1}{2} (3.04)(5)^2 = \:?[/tex]
assuming the initial position and velocity were zero.

EnDev said:
there would be no velocity as the object is at rest until the force is applied.
You need to put things like that in the statement of the problem. It is best to quote the problem exactly, rather than try to paraphrase it, because it is possible to misinterpret a problem (you didn't here, but it can happen). If you quote exactly, others might catch the misinterpretation.

tms said:
You need to put things like that in the statement of the problem. It is best to quote the problem exactly, rather than try to paraphrase it, because it is possible to misinterpret a problem (you didn't here, but it can happen). If you quote exactly, others might catch the misinterpretation.

I apologize for that.

but as for the equation i get 38meters.

Im going to work on the next one to be sure that I've got this down.

thanks for the help!

EnDev said:
I apologize for that.
No need to apologize.
but as for the equation i get 38meters.
That's what I got.

Related to Force Applied to an Object with friction

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface.

2. How does friction affect an object's motion?

Friction causes a decrease in an object's motion by creating resistance against its movement.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction on an object?

The amount of friction on an object is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the speed at which the surfaces are moving.

4. How does the force applied to an object affect friction?

The force applied to an object can either increase or decrease the amount of friction depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. For example, pushing an object with a force parallel to the surface it is on will increase friction, while pulling it will decrease friction.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a smooth surface between two objects. Additionally, reducing the weight or pressure on an object can also decrease friction.

Back