Force around a horizontal circle

In summary, the problem involves a car traveling at a constant speed of 13.3 m/s around a curve in a road, with a total force of 127 N due to friction. The equation ∑F=mac can be used, but since the values of r and m are not given, they do not need to be known. The acceleration in this case is centripetal, meaning the direction is continually changing. To find the force if the car were traveling at 16.8 m/s, the equation 127N/13.3m/s = x/ 16.8m/s can be used, taking into account that force is proportional to the velocity squared.
bearhug
A curve in a road forms part of a horizontal circle. As a car goes around it at constant speed 13.3 m/s, the total force on the car (due to friction with the road) has magnitude 127 N. If the driver would have been driving 16.8 m/s, what would the force have been instead?

∑F= mac = m* v^2/r This is the original equation I thought of using until I realized that I don't have r or m. When the problem mentions the total force as being 127N I assumed that was ∑F. Acceleration would be zero since speed is constant but that's not necessarily the same thing centripetal acceleration is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
bearhug said:
∑F= mac = m* v^2/r This is the original equation I thought of using until I realized that I don't have r or m.
That's the right equation. Since r & m don't change, perhaps you don't need to know them. :wink: (Think ratios.)

When the problem mentions the total force as being 127N I assumed that was ∑F.
Correct.
Acceleration would be zero since speed is constant but that's not necessarily the same thing centripetal acceleration is it?
Acceleration means a change in velocity, which can be a change in speed or direction. (Velocity is a vector.) When something moves in a circle at constant speed it is most definitely accelerating! It's direction is continually changing: it is being centripetally accelerated. ("Centripetal" just means towards the center--in order for something to go in a circle a force must pull it towards the center. In this problem, friction provides the centripetal force.)

127N/13.3m/s = x/ 16.8m/s? x= 160.4 N

Careful: The force is proportional to the velocity squared.

Thanks for pointing that out. I appreciate it.

FAQ: Force around a horizontal circle

1. What is the centripetal force around a horizontal circle?

The centripetal force around a horizontal circle is the force that is directed towards the center of the circle, keeping an object moving in a circular path.

2. How is the centripetal force calculated?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the equation Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What is the relationship between centripetal force and velocity?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the velocity. This means that as the velocity increases, the centripetal force also increases. However, the radius of the circle also plays a role in determining the amount of centripetal force needed.

4. Can centripetal force be greater than other forces acting on an object?

Yes, centripetal force can be greater than other forces acting on an object. This is because centripetal force is dependent on the velocity and radius of the circle, and can be increased by increasing either of these factors.

5. What happens if there is not enough centripetal force?

If there is not enough centripetal force, the object will not be able to maintain its circular motion and will either slow down or deviate from its circular path. This is known as centrifugal force, which is the outward force that is observed when an object moves in a curved path.

Back