Force Between Two Conducting Spheres

In summary, the conversation discusses the force of repulsion between two conducting spheres with the same charge and separated by a distance d. The expected answer was that the force would remain the same, but it is actually less than F due to the interaction between the charges and the conducting nature of the spheres. This is because the charges are free to move and accumulate on the side furthest away from the other sphere, resulting in a larger distance between the charges and a smaller force. The inverse square law of Coulomb's Force still applies, but the presence of the metal and the charge distribution on the spheres affects the overall force.
Paras Lehana
Hi physicists here. :)
I've just joined the forums and here's my very first question :P :

Aakash PHYSICS JEE (Main & Advanced) Study Package - 5 & 6 (Class XII)
Chapter -
Electric Charges and Field

Assignment (page 12)
SECTION - A; Q.no - 1

The force of repulsion between two point charges is F, when they are d distance apart. If the point charges are replaced by conducting spheres each of radius r and the charge remains same. The separation between the center of sphere is d, then force of repulsion between them is

(1) Equal to F
(2) Less than F
(3) Greater than F
(4) Cannot be said

Answer - (2) Less than F

What I expected the answer to be was (1). The electric field due to a conducting sphere of charge Q is equivalent to the same due to a point charge at the center of the sphere as total charge on it appears as concentrated at the center for the points outside the charged sphere. So, the force should have remained the same.

Any suggestions?

Well, it's really nice meeting you all. :)

P.S.: I didn't think it to be a homework question. Well, if moderator thinks it is, the same can move the thread. I beg your pardon for that on the grounds that I just joined the joined the forum today.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums, Paras Lehana! :)

Let me try to answer your question now, and I have to say that some drawings would be helpful in explaining the situation, but I will try my best to describe everything with words. So let me know if I am not being completely clear.

You are right about the field outside of a charged conducting sphere being equivalent to the field generated by a point charge sitting at the center of the sphere. However, this concept is applicable only when the sphere is isolated from the environment.

In the present case, each sphere is not completely isolated from the environment because they are in the presence of each other. As a consequence they will interact. The fact that the two conducting spheres are charged implies that they will induce agregation of charges in certain regions of each other surfaces. To see this, think of both as spheres being negatively charged (and, therefore, will repel each other as required by the problem). These charges are free to move over the surface of their respetive spheres because we are dealing with a conductor. We can thus predict that the negative charge of one sphere will repel those of the other and tend to move and acumulate on the side of its respective sphere which is the furthest alway from the negative charges of the other sphere. Thus, if you have one sphere standing on the right and another one of the left, the negative charges of the sphere on the right will acumulate on the rightmost side of that sphere, and by symmetry, on the leftmost side of the sphere on the left. Now, we know that the amount of charge on both spheres remains the same during this process because charge is conserved. However, these charges will be further appart from each other now (when compared to the situation of point charges sitting at the geometrical center of the spheres) - and because Coulomb's Force decreases with the square of the distance, the force has to be smaller now.

I hope this helps!Zag

Last edited:
Zag said:
Welcome to the forums, Paras Lehana! :)In the present case, each sphere is not completely isolated from the environment because they are in the presence of each other. As a consequence they will interact.

You were damn clear Zag. Thanks mate, I got it! The charge would've been the same if the spheres were non-conducting. But here, as they're conducting, the charges can interact due to induction, right?

Zag said:
and because Coulomb's Force decreases with the square of the distance, the force has to be smaller now.

Why would the force be less ? It seems intuitive but what is the reason ? Yes,the distance increases ,but we simply cannot apply the inverse square law of coulombs force ,since they are not point charges .

Tanya Sharma said:
Why would the force be less ? It seems intuitive but what is the reason ? Yes,the distance increases ,but we simply cannot apply the inverse square law of coulombs force ,since they are not point charges .

You can consider the charge distribution on the spheres as stack of point charges. Those on one sphere interact with the other point charges on the other sphere. The presence of the metal also influences the force , the contribution of charges on the opposite sides is much less then the force in accordance with Coulomb's Law.
Have a look at that:http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2012/05/22/rspa.2012.0133.full

ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Paras Lehana said:
You were damn clear Zag. Thanks mate, I got it! The charge would've been the same if the spheres were non-conducting. But here, as they're conducting, the charges can interact due to induction, right?

EDIT: Got It! Thanks, Zag!

Related to Force Between Two Conducting Spheres

What is the "force between two conducting spheres"?

The force between two conducting spheres refers to the electrostatic force that exists between two charged spheres that are in close proximity to each other. This force is caused by the interaction of the electric fields produced by the charges on each sphere.

What factors affect the force between two conducting spheres?

The force between two conducting spheres is affected by the magnitude of the charges on each sphere, the distance between the spheres, and the relative permittivity of the medium between the spheres. The force increases with increasing charge and decreases with increasing distance and decreasing permittivity.

How is the force between two conducting spheres calculated?

The force between two conducting spheres is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is equal to the product of the charges on each sphere divided by the square of the distance between them, multiplied by a constant known as the permittivity of free space.

What is the significance of the force between two conducting spheres?

The force between two conducting spheres is significant in understanding and predicting the behavior of charged particles in various systems. It is also important in the design and functioning of electrical devices, such as capacitors and batteries.

How does the force between two conducting spheres change with the introduction of an external electric field?

The force between two conducting spheres will change when an external electric field is introduced, as the electric field will interact with the charges on the spheres and alter the magnitude and direction of the force. The exact change will depend on the strength and direction of the external electric field.