Force Calculation in deflecting a sheet metal part

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the force required to deflect a sheet metal part. The attachment provides a spreadsheet with questions and a calculation for stress, load, and deflection. The conversation also mentions clarifying assumptions and using a formula for force calculation for a flat membrane. The formula provided may not be providing desired results and an alternate formula may be needed.
sree67
Hi

Could anyone help me in calculating the force required to deflect a sheet metal part (see attached excel file for details)

Attachments

• query.xls
    27.5 KB · Views: 488
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi sree. I've attached your spreadsheet with a couple of questions. If the U portion is constrained such that it doesn't move much, and if all the bending is occurring between the dimple and the point indicated, then this is a simple beam in bending and you can use the calculation on the second tab to determine stress, load and deflection.

If those assumptions are incorrect, then you'll need to clarify how this part works.

Attachments

• query(2).xls
    43 KB · Views: 539
Thanks Q Goest. Appreciate your help. Your input has helped a lot.

hey hi .. what formula for force calculation can be used inorder to deflect a simple flat membrane provided the opposite edges are fixed.
actually i used this one .
deflection = -alpha *load per unit area* length^4/E* thickness^3
but I am not getting desired results
is there any alternate formula for it ??

Related to Force Calculation in deflecting a sheet metal part

1. How is force calculated in deflecting a sheet metal part?

The force required to deflect a sheet metal part can be calculated using the formula F = Y x A x d, where F is the force in newtons, Y is the modulus of elasticity in pascals, A is the cross-sectional area of the sheet metal in square meters, and d is the deflection distance in meters.

2. What factors affect the force required for deflecting a sheet metal part?

The force required for deflecting a sheet metal part is affected by factors such as the thickness and material properties of the sheet metal, the geometry of the part, and the applied load or pressure.

3. How do I determine the modulus of elasticity for a specific sheet metal material?

The modulus of elasticity, or Young's modulus, can be found in material databases or by conducting experiments on the specific sheet metal material. It is a measure of the material's stiffness and its resistance to deformation under an applied load.

4. Can force calculations be used to predict the behavior of a sheet metal part during forming processes?

Yes, force calculations can help predict the behavior of a sheet metal part during forming processes such as bending, stretching, or deep drawing. By understanding the forces involved, engineers can optimize the design and process parameters to prevent defects and ensure the desired shape and dimensions of the part.

5. Are there any limitations to force calculations in sheet metal part design?

While force calculations are a useful tool in sheet metal part design, they do have limitations. These calculations assume ideal conditions and do not take into account factors such as material imperfections, friction, or springback, which can affect the actual force required during forming processes. Therefore, it is important to validate force calculations with physical testing and adjust accordingly.