In summary: Thanks for pointing that out!In summary, the homework statement said that to find the friction one has to pull to start the sled moving up with slope, FN is reduced by FPY. However, there is also a y component to FP (an applied force in the y direction) which reduces FN by FPY. In other words because you are pulling up on the object the normal force is reduced. If this were not the case there would be a net force in the y direction and it would accelerate off the slope. Therefore, μsFpsin(11) in the homework statement is part of 0.096[mgcos(12)-FPsin(11)] where FPsin(11) is the y component of
Summer95
LqZ7Pwe.jpg

Could someone credible please check my work on this one?

Homework Statement

This problem is "pulling a sled up a slope"
All relevant data is in the picture. I wanted to find FP (The force one has to pull to start the sled moving up with slope).

mass = 26.0kg
μs = 0.096
slope of hill = 12 degrees
FP = 23 degrees (from horizontal)

I did all my work in the rotated reference frame where the x direction is in line with the slope of the hill.

Homework Equations

I fully believe I got the right answer which is why I want this to be double and triple checked to make sure I really do understand everything here. I have my midterm on Friday so now is the time to learn!

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution I got was FP = 76.9N

Thank you so much in advance! <3‿<3

Physics news on Phys.org
I got a slightly higher number. To wit, 78.4N.

I notice a term μsFpsin(11) in your work which I did not have.

rude man said:
I got a slightly higher number. To wit, 78.4N.

I notice a term μsFpsin(11) in your work which I did not have.

Thanks for replying :) I see exactly what you did differently so I'll explain and can you tell me where/if I wrong in the following?

To find the Ffriction it is dependent on FN which ordinarily would be equal to the y component of Fg. However, there is also a y component to FP (an applied force in the y direction) which reduces FN by FPY. In other words because you are pulling up on the object the normal force is reduced. If this were not the case there would be a net force in the y direction and it would accelerate off the slope. That is where μsFpsin(11) in my work comes from. It is part of 0.096[mgcos(12)-FPsin(11)] where FPsin(11) is the y component of the applied force FP.

Well, guess what, I agree! Except one thing bothers me: the force Fpsin(11) is not applied at the c.g. of the sled, but at one edge. So the tendency of that vertical component of Fp is to tilt the sled upwards rather than lift it evenly off the ramp. So the part of the surface contact the sled makes with the ramp that is closest to the rope will get "lighter" but the part on the low end will hardly be affected. I guess you can say it averages out. Certainly I was remiss in neglecting that vertical component. So congrats! I'd say the apprentice beat the master except I'm no master!

Thanks! That is an interesting point. Would it balance out perfectly or would that factor into a more accurate answer?

I think it would balance out and your analysis was spot-on.

Related to Force Components, Friction, etc. Check my work?

1. What are force components?

Force components refer to the individual forces acting on an object in different directions. These can be broken down into horizontal and vertical components, and can also be represented by vectors.

2. How does friction affect an object's motion?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It can either slow down or prevent the object from moving altogether. Friction is caused by the interactions between the surfaces of two objects and is dependent on factors such as the type of surface and the force pressing the objects together.

3. How do you calculate the net force on an object?

The net force on an object is the sum of all the forces acting on it. This can be calculated by adding up the individual force components in each direction (horizontal and vertical) or by using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and direction of the net force.

4. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving while it is at rest. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is already in motion. The force of static friction is usually greater than the force of kinetic friction.

5. How does mass affect the force required to move an object?

The greater the mass of an object, the more force is required to move it. This is due to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.