Force equilibrium of a thick-walled pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the forces acting on screws in a pipe with an applied moment in order to ensure the screws are strong enough to keep the pipe in place. The formula F = M/(N*b) is suggested as a way to calculate the force on each screw, but there is uncertainty about the direction and type of force. The possibility of friction and material deformation is also mentioned. The use of von Mises yield criterion to determine the number of screws needed is also discussed.
Arcturus82
Dear all,

I have a thick-walled pipe with an inner radius a and an outer radius b. The pipe is mounted to an outer rigid surrounding by N number of screws (applied at radius b) equally distributed around the pipe. Given an applied moment M on the inner radius a, I want to calculate the forces acting on the screws in order to verify that the screws are strong enough to keep the pipe in place.

Would the force F on each screw in such situation simply be F = M/(N*b) ? That is by using momentum equilibirum M = N*b*F around the center of the pipe. Or would the material deformation change this equilibrium in any way?

I would appreciate any help you may offer.

All the best

Physics news on Phys.org
"F on each screw"...in which direction? I presume that the F that appears in F=M/(N*b) is the F tangential to the outside of the pipe and right where the bolt contacts the pipe...in other words, this is friction force (if negligible deformation); it would be the same force that is trying to "bend" the bolt, but it is different from the force along the axis of the bolt...am I correct? Where, of course, Ffirction = Faxial-bolt X Friction-Coeff. ?

Thank you very much for your reply.

I realize that I was quite unclear in my question. There is going to be bolted joints between the rigid surrounding and the pipe, where the screw threads are in the pipe. So with the force F, I was referring to the shear force that would act on one screw. In the case where any friction at the interface between the pipe and the surrounding can be neglected, I wondered if moment equilibrium would be the only factor I have to consider? Because that would simply give me F = M/(N*b). However, I am unsure if I need to account for the deformation of the pipe since the moment is acting on the inner surface.

If I know the shear force together with the preload along the bolt axis, I can then go ahead and use for example von Mises yield criterion to determine how many screws of a specific type that are needed to hold the pipe in place without reaching the yield point of the screw material.

Last edited:

Related to Force equilibrium of a thick-walled pipe

1. What is force equilibrium of a thick-walled pipe?

Force equilibrium of a thick-walled pipe refers to the state in which all external forces acting on the pipe are balanced, resulting in no net force or torque. This is an important concept in engineering and physics, as it ensures the structural integrity and stability of the pipe.

2. How is force equilibrium of a thick-walled pipe calculated?

The force equilibrium of a thick-walled pipe can be calculated by summing up all external forces (such as pressure, weight, and applied loads) and ensuring that they are balanced in all directions. This can be represented mathematically using vector equations or resolved into their components.

3. What are the factors that affect force equilibrium of a thick-walled pipe?

The main factors that affect force equilibrium of a thick-walled pipe are the external forces acting on the pipe, the material properties of the pipe (such as strength and stiffness), and the dimensions and geometry of the pipe. These factors must be carefully considered and designed for in order to achieve a state of force equilibrium.

4. Why is force equilibrium important in the design of thick-walled pipes?

Force equilibrium is crucial in the design of thick-walled pipes because it ensures the structural stability and safety of the pipe. If the forces are not balanced, it can lead to structural failure, such as buckling, collapse, or bursting. Force equilibrium also allows for accurate analysis and prediction of the behavior of the pipe under different loading conditions.

5. How can force equilibrium be maintained in a thick-walled pipe?

To maintain force equilibrium in a thick-walled pipe, the design and construction must take into account the external forces and ensure that they are balanced. This can be achieved through proper material selection, appropriate dimensions and geometry, and reinforcement if necessary. Regular inspections and maintenance can also help to ensure that force equilibrium is maintained throughout the lifespan of the pipe.