Force exerted by a charged rod on a point charge

In summary, the electric force on a negative point charge (Q) located a distance d away from a line segment of charge (L/2 to +L/2) along the x-axis is -Q/4*pi*epsilon_0[the integral from 0 to -L/2 of(lambda_0*x/(d+L/2+x)^2) + the integral from 0 to L/2 of(lambda_0*x/(d+L/2-x)^2)].
acedeno

Homework Statement

Determine the electric force exerted on a negative point charge –Q located a distance d away from a line segment of charge, extending from –L/2 to +L/2 along the x-axis. The line segment has a non-uniform charge distribution, lambda(x)=lambda_0*x .

Homework Equations

F= q1q2/4pi(epsilon_0)r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Fy=0

Fx= -Q/4*pi*epsilon_0[the integral from 0 to -L/2 of(lambda_0*x/(d+L/2+x)^2) + the integral from 0 to L/2 of(lambda_0*x/(d+L/2-x)^2)]

Notice the -x in the distance in the second integral. This is just my attempt at the question. I have no clue whether it is right or wrong. I feel the need to express the equation into 2 different integrals because you have to show the distance from the origin. Well at least I think so. Any thoughts would be very helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is charge, -Q, located on the x-axis, or is it located a distance d from the center of the rod on the y-axis?

-Q located some distance d from the end of the rod in the positive direction ON the x-axis.
so Fy=0

hi split the integral in two parts. since the line charge depends on x coordinate, the charge would be negative for x < 0 and positive for x > 0

That's what I've done but I'm not sure if I did it correctly.

It appears that you have the rod of length, L, centered at the origin. One end of the rod is at x = L/2. The charge is at distance, d, from L/2 in the positive x-axis, thus it's located at x = (L/2) + d .

There is no need to break up the integral the way you did. The distance from any point at x on the rod to the charge is (L/2) + d - x . Algebra will take care of x being negative.

Also: By switching the limits of integration, like you did in your first integral, you may introduce an unintended change of sign in that integral.

Thanks a lot, I figured that out about 10 minutes ago but it's nice having it confirmed!

FAQ: Force exerted by a charged rod on a point charge

What is the force exerted by a charged rod on a point charge?

The force exerted by a charged rod on a point charge is known as the electrostatic force or Coulomb force. It is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between two charged particles.

How is the force exerted by a charged rod on a point charge calculated?

The force can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Does the force exerted by a charged rod on a point charge depend on the charge of the point charge?

Yes, the force exerted by a charged rod on a point charge is directly proportional to the product of the two charges. This means that a larger charge on the point charge will result in a stronger force.

How does the distance between the charged rod and the point charge affect the force?

The force exerted by a charged rod on a point charge is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases. In other words, the force decreases rapidly as the distance between the two charged particles increases.

Can the force exerted by a charged rod on a point charge be negative?

Yes, the force can be negative if the two charges have opposite signs. This indicates that the force is attractive, pulling the two particles towards each other. If the two charges have the same sign, the force will be positive and the particles will repel each other.

Back