Force Exerted By a liquid integration problem

In summary: So the average width is (20+20)/2 = 20 feet. So the total force is (20*40)*(3+9)/2 = 2400 ft^3 In summary, the total force exerted at the bottom of the rectangular swimming pool is 2400 ft^3.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A rectangular swimming pool is 20 feet wide and 40 feet long. The depth of the water varie uniformly from 3 feet at one end to 9 feet at the other end. Find the total force exerted at the bottom of the pool.

Homework Equations

The force F exerted by a liquid of constant density "p", where the functions f and g are continuous on [c,d], is
\begin{equation}
F=\int_c^d \, p(k-y)[f(y)-g(y)]dy
\end{equation}
The equation of the line making up the bottom of the pool is
\begin{equation}
\frac{-3}{10}x+6=y
\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

The depth of any rectangle below the surface would be (9-y), I reasoned.
I tried to do the integration
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
F&=62.5\int_0^6 (9-y)(\frac{10(y-6)}{-3})dy\\
&=26250\\
\end{split}
\end{equation}
The book says this answer is wrong, as I suspected. I can't seem to find a way to think of it. Ways I've tried:
Finding the volume of water above the wedge caused by the incline + the wedge volume * 62.5

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't really need calculus for this problem. The total force is just the volume of the pool times the density of water. Notice that a cross section of the pool is a trapezoid.

Related to Force Exerted By a liquid integration problem

What is the definition of force exerted by a liquid?

Force exerted by a liquid refers to the amount of pressure a liquid applies on an object or surface. It is a result of the weight of the liquid above the object or surface, also known as hydrostatic pressure.

How is the force exerted by a liquid calculated?

The force exerted by a liquid can be calculated by multiplying the density of the liquid by the gravitational acceleration and the height of the liquid above the object or surface. This can be represented by the formula F = ρgh, where ρ is the density, g is the gravitational acceleration, and h is the height.

What are the units of force exerted by a liquid?

The units of force exerted by a liquid depend on the units used for density, gravitational acceleration, and height. In the SI system, the units are typically newtons (N). In the imperial system, the units are often pounds-force (lbf).

How does the shape of the container affect the force exerted by a liquid?

The shape of the container does not affect the force exerted by a liquid. As long as the height of the liquid and the density of the liquid remain constant, the force exerted by the liquid will also remain constant.

Can the force exerted by a liquid be negative?

Yes, the force exerted by a liquid can be negative if the liquid is under negative pressure. This can occur when the liquid is in a state of tension, such as in a capillary tube. In this case, the liquid is pulling on the object or surface rather than pushing on it.