Force experienced by a tennis ball

In summary, a tennis ball with a mass of 0.065-kg and a velocity of 15 m/s is struck by a tennis racket, causing it to change direction and have a velocity of -15 m/s. The change in momentum is equal to the impulse, which can be calculated using the formula FΔt=Δ(mv). With a change in velocity of 30 m/s, the change in momentum is 1.95 kgm/s. This leads to an average force of 97.5 N, which is rounded to 98 N due to significant figures.
jmgXD6
A .065-kg tennis ball moving to the right with a speed of 15 m/s is stuck by a tennis racket, causing it to move to the left with a speed of 15 m/s. If the ball remains in contact with the racket for 0.020s, what is the magnitude of the average force experienced by the ball?

F=mv/t I think that's the equation to use.

So if I plug in 0.065 for mass 15 m/s for velocity and .020s for time I would get 48.75 N but that's not an answer choice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The change of the momentum is equal to the impulse: Δ(mv)=FΔt.

The velocity of the ball turns to opposite. How much does its momentum change if the velocity changes from 15 m/s to -15 m/s?

ehild

It goes from .975 kgm/s to -.975 kgm/s so it changes by 1.95 kgm/s.

So does that lead to a match with one of the options offered, now?

So then if that's the case then 1.95 kgm/s=Ft and t equals .020 I would get 97.5 for force but that isn't an answer choice. What am I doing wrong?

97.5 N should be correct.

ehild

I feel dumb now, our teacher likes to round and one of the answer choices is 98. Thanks guys.

That's not just rounding, that's the teacher correctly using significant figures

Related to Force experienced by a tennis ball

1. What factors affect the force experienced by a tennis ball?

The force experienced by a tennis ball is affected by several factors such as the speed and direction of the ball, the surface it bounces off of, and the weight and elasticity of the ball itself.

2. How is the force experienced by a tennis ball calculated?

The force experienced by a tennis ball can be calculated using the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the ball, and a is the acceleration it experiences.

3. Why does a tennis ball experience a force when it bounces?

When a tennis ball bounces, it experiences a force due to the collision with the surface it bounces off of. This force is known as the normal force and it is equal in magnitude to the force applied by the ball on the surface.

4. How does the force experienced by a tennis ball change with different surface types?

The force experienced by a tennis ball may vary depending on the surface it bounces off of. For example, on a hard surface, the ball experiences a greater force due to the surface being less elastic, while on a soft surface, the ball experiences a lower force due to the surface being more elastic.

5. Can the force experienced by a tennis ball be increased?

Yes, the force experienced by a tennis ball can be increased by either increasing the speed and/or weight of the ball, or by bouncing it off a surface with greater elasticity. However, there is a limit to how much force a tennis ball can experience before it breaks or deforms.