Force Needed to Stop a Flying Bullet

In summary, the bullet of mass 0.0025 kg moving at 470 m/s impacts a large fixed block of wood and travels 6.2 cm before coming to rest. Assuming constant deceleration, the force exerted by the wood on the bullet can be found using the equation v^2= u^2+2as, with units converted to metres and seconds. The answer will be in units of kN.
IBdoomed
A bullet of mass 0.0025 kg moving at 470 m/s
impacts a large fixed block of wood and travels
6.2 cm before coming to rest.
Assuming that the deceleration of the bullet
is constant, find the force exerted by the wood
on the bullet.
Answer in units of kN

I know force= mass * acceleration but i don't know how the distance plays into the solution. Any kind of kinematics formula would be sufficiently helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
IBdoomed said:
A bullet of mass 0.0025 kg moving at 470 m/s
impacts a large fixed block of wood and travels
6.2 cm before coming to rest.
Assuming that the deceleration of the bullet
is constant, find the force exerted by the wood
on the bullet.
Answer in units of kN

I know force= mass * acceleration but i don't know how the distance plays into the solution. Any kind of kinematics formula would be sufficiently helpful!

Choose wisely from the sets of equations shown in the first two sections of this wikipedia posting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion

i was trying to use v^2= u^2+2as
but the answer i am getting is wrong...
is there a different formula you suggest?

IBdoomed said:
i was trying to use v^2= u^2+2as
but the answer i am getting is wrong...
is there a different formula you suggest?

That is certainly the one I would use.

Were you converting everything to metres and seconds?

This formula will only calculate the acceleration of course - you need at least one more step to get the force.

nevermind. i was not converting my answer into kN... thank you so much!

Related to Force Needed to Stop a Flying Bullet

What is the force needed to stop a flying bullet?

The force needed to stop a flying bullet depends on several factors such as the velocity, mass, and shape of the bullet, as well as the material it is hitting. Generally, it takes a very large force to stop a bullet, ranging from thousands to millions of Newtons.

How does the velocity of a bullet affect the force needed to stop it?

The velocity of a bullet has a direct impact on the force needed to stop it. A bullet traveling at a higher velocity has more kinetic energy, which means it will require a larger force to bring it to a stop.

What role does the mass of a bullet play in determining the force needed to stop it?

The mass of a bullet also plays a significant role in determining the force needed to stop it. A heavier bullet has more inertia and will require a larger force to stop it compared to a lighter bullet traveling at the same velocity.

Does the shape of a bullet affect the force needed to stop it?

Yes, the shape of a bullet can impact the force needed to stop it. A bullet with a pointed tip will have a smaller surface area, resulting in less air resistance and requiring a smaller force to stop it compared to a bullet with a flat tip.

What materials are best for stopping a flying bullet?

The most effective materials for stopping a bullet are those with high density and tensile strength, such as steel, titanium, and Kevlar. The thickness and composition of the material also play a role in its ability to stop a bullet.