Force of an elevator on person riding it

In summary, an elevator with a mass of 48.0 kg accelerates upward from rest at the ground floor, 5.00 m below the first floor, and passes the second floor 1.65 s later. The normal force exerted by the floor of the elevator on a 48.0 kg passenger can be calculated by using the equations N=m(g+a) and v^2 = 2*a*s, with the given values of mass, acceleration, and distance between floors. The equations also require the use of another equation that utilizes the given time. After solving for the acceleration, the normal force can be calculated as N=48(9.8+0.630)=514.46 N.
captainjack

Homework Statement

An elevator accelerates constantly upward from rest and passes the second floor, 5.00 m above the first floor, 1.65 s after it passes the first floor. What force does the floor of the elevator exert on a 48.0 kg passenger? Assume the elevator starts from rest at the ground floor, 5.00m below the first floor

Homework Equations

N force=mg+ma
v^2 = 2*a*s

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that based on the free body diagram the normal force is mg +ma (so I just need to solve this to get the force of the floor on the person). I'm having trouble solving for the acceleration though. I've tried using the equation above (which I assumed was the correct one to use), but according to the sample midterm solutions that my professor gave me this isn't even the equation to use. According to the answer key...
V2^2-V1^2=2a*5
V1^2=2a*5
V2^2=20a=4.47√a
so a=0.630m/s^2 (I kept getting 0.918)
but what I don't understand is how you would get all of these numbers. Isn't V1 supposed to be 0 because its starting from rest? ...which would make N=m(g+a)=48(9.8+0.919)=514.46

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
captainjack said:
V2^2-V1^2=2a*5
V1^2=2a*5
V2^2=20a=4.47√a
so a=0.630m/s^2 (I kept getting 0.918)
but what I don't understand is how you would get all of these numbers. Isn't V1 supposed to be 0 because its starting from rest? ...which would make N=m(g+a)=48(9.8+0.919)=514.46

v1 is not 0 as it is velocity at first floor

v is 0 at ground floor

There are 3 speeds of interest, V_0 is 0 at the ground floor. V1 is the speed at the first floor. V2 is the speed at the 2nd floor. See if you can now make sense of the equations. But you missed a step somewhere..you have to use another equation , that makes use of the given time, before you can solve for a.

Related to Force of an elevator on person riding it

1. How does the force of an elevator on a person change as the elevator moves?

As the elevator moves, the force on a person inside it changes. This is because of the acceleration or deceleration of the elevator, which causes a change in the velocity of the person. When the elevator is moving at a constant speed, the force on the person is equal to their weight. However, when the elevator starts to accelerate or decelerate, the force on the person increases or decreases accordingly.

2. Does the direction of the elevator affect the force on a person inside it?

Yes, the direction of the elevator can affect the force on a person inside it. When the elevator is moving upwards, the force on the person is greater than their weight. This is because the elevator is pushing the person upwards while their weight is pulling them downwards. On the other hand, when the elevator is moving downwards, the force on the person is less than their weight as the elevator is pulling them downwards while their weight is pulling them downwards as well.

3. How does the weight of the person affect the force of the elevator?

The weight of the person does not directly affect the force of the elevator. The force of the elevator on a person is dependent on the acceleration or deceleration of the elevator, not the weight of the person. However, the weight of the person does contribute to the overall weight of the elevator, which may affect the force required to move the elevator.

4. Is the force of the elevator on a person the same throughout the entire ride?

No, the force of the elevator on a person is not the same throughout the entire ride. As mentioned earlier, the force changes when the elevator accelerates or decelerates. Additionally, the force may also change if the elevator encounters any external forces, such as air resistance or friction from the elevator shaft.

5. How does the force of an elevator on a person compare to the force of gravity?

The force of an elevator on a person can be greater or less than the force of gravity, depending on the direction and speed of the elevator. When the elevator is accelerating upwards, the force on a person is greater than their weight, while when it is accelerating downwards, the force is less than their weight. However, when the elevator is moving at a constant speed, the force is equal to their weight. It is only when the elevator is stationary that the force of gravity is the only force acting on a person inside it.