Force of Dipole on Proton: Calculating E and F

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force on a proton located at <0, 3 ✕ 10-8, 0> m due to a dipole centered at the origin with charged particles +e and -e separated by a distance of 7 ✕ 10-10 m along the y axis. The approach involves using the equation for electric field and multiplying it by the charge of the proton. The resulting force is calculated to be (0,-1.237e-14,0). The conversation also asks for clarification on the coordinate axes of the dipole and proton.
elli

Homework Statement

A dipole is centered at the origin, and is composed of charged particles with charge +e and -e, separated by a distance 7 ✕ 10-10 m along the y axis. The +e charge is on the -y axis, and the -e charge is on the +y axis. A proton is located at <0, 3 ✕ 10-8, 0> m. What is the force on the proton, due to the dipole?

Homework Equations

E=k*[(2*q*s)/(r^3)]
F=E*q

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the electric field using the equation for a charged particle on axis with a dipole. I then multiplied that electric field by the charge of the proton(1.6e-19)
I'm very lost with all this dipole stuff. Any and all help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Show the equation that you used. Sketch the relative positions of the particles. Hint: you'll only need one axis to do it!

What I have is k=9e9
q=-1.6e-19
s=7e-10
r=(3e-8)-(7e-10/2)=2.965e-8
E=-77342.2N/C
The charge of the proton is 1.6e-19
I think the force should therefore be (0,1.6e-19*-77342.2,0)=(0,-1.237e-14,0).
But that's just not working:(

What coordinate axis are the dipole electrons on?

What coordinate axis is the proton on?

Firstly, the electric field at a point due to a dipole can be calculated using the formula E = k * (2 * q * s) / r^3, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the charges on the dipole, s is the separation between the charges, and r is the distance from the dipole to the point where the electric field is being calculated. In this case, r can be calculated as the distance between the dipole and the proton, which is 3 * 10^-8 m.

Using the given information, we can calculate the electric field at the proton's location by substituting the values into the formula: E = (9 * 10^9) * [(2 * 1.6 * 10^-19 * 7 * 10^-10) / (3 * 10^-8)^3] = 1.792 N/C.

Now, to calculate the force on the proton, we can use the formula F = E * q, where F is the force, E is the electric field, and q is the charge of the proton. Substituting the values, we get F = (1.792 N/C) * (1.6 * 10^-19 C) = 2.867 * 10^-20 N.

Therefore, the force on the proton due to the dipole is 2.867 * 10^-20 N, directed towards the dipole along the y-axis. I hope this helps!

FAQ: Force of Dipole on Proton: Calculating E and F

1. How is the force of a dipole on a proton calculated?

The force of a dipole on a proton can be calculated using the formula F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge of the proton, and E is the electric field strength created by the dipole.

2. What is the relationship between the electric field and the force of a dipole on a proton?

The force of a dipole on a proton is directly proportional to the electric field strength. This means that as the electric field strength increases, the force on the proton also increases.

3. Can the force of a dipole on a proton be negative?

Yes, the force of a dipole on a proton can be negative. This indicates that the force is in the opposite direction of the electric field, causing the proton to move in the opposite direction.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the electric field strength and force in this calculation?

The unit of measurement for the electric field strength is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C), and the unit for force is Newtons (N).

5. How can the force of a dipole on a proton be applied in real-world scenarios?

The force of a dipole on a proton is commonly used in particle physics and can be applied in experiments such as particle accelerators. It can also be used in the study of molecular interactions and how dipoles affect the movement of charged particles in biological systems.

Back