Force of gravity between two objects

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the force of gravity between two 100kg cars on an interstate highway. The formula F=\frac{Gm_{1}m_{2}}{r^{2}} is mentioned and the values for G, r, and m are provided. The question of whether the mass for each car is actually 100kg is raised and the small result of the calculation is noted. The concept of gravity weakening with distance is also mentioned.
pinkcarnations
hi i am stuck and don't know what to do next or if i am even on the right path. could someone help me please! :cry:

my question is what is the force of gravity between two 100kg cars separated by a distance of 25m on an interstate highway?
I started out like this:

fg=Gm1m2+6.67 x 10-11Nm2 x (1000kg) (1000kg)
r2 kg2 (25m)2

G=6.67 x 10-11 Nm2
kg2

then i don't know what to do or if this is even close

thanks to anyone with the time to help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just plug in the CORRECT values in the formula for F:
[tex]F=\frac{Gm_{1}m_{2}}{r^{2}},G=6.67*10^{-11}\frac{Nm^{2}}{kg^{2}},r=25m,m_{1}=m_{2}=100kg[/tex]

Query:Check the value of the mass for each car; are you sure it is 100kg, rather than 1000kg?

It gives me an extremely small result. Something like 0.0000001 N. It makes sense btw.

Last edited:
Would you expect anything else?

arildno said:
Would you expect anything else?

No because gravity weaks considerably with the distance (action at a distance).

Related to Force of gravity between two objects

1. What is the force of gravity between two objects?

The force of gravity between two objects is the attractive force that exists between any two masses. It is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating off into space.

2. How is the force of gravity between two objects calculated?

The force of gravity between two objects can be calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Does the force of gravity between two objects depend on their masses?

Yes, the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the masses of the two objects. This means that the greater the mass of either object, the greater the force of gravity between them.

4. How does the distance between two objects affect the force of gravity between them?

The force of gravity between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the objects increases, the force of gravity decreases.

5. What is the relationship between the force of gravity and the acceleration due to gravity?

The force of gravity and the acceleration due to gravity are directly proportional. This means that the greater the force of gravity between two objects, the greater the acceleration due to gravity on those objects.