Force of gravity on a spaceship - can't get right answer.

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving calculating the force of gravity on a spacecraft located 32000 km above the Earth's surface with a mass of 1300 kg. The speaker initially tries to solve it using the formula F = 1/25mg, but receives an incorrect answer. They then try solving it using the longer formula F = G (mass 1 X mass 2) / (radius ^2), but again get the wrong answer. With the help of another person, they realize their mistake of using the incorrect radius and are able to correctly calculate the force of gravity.
confusedbyphysics
This seems like it should be very easy but I keep getting the wrong answer. Here is the problem.

"Calculate the force of gravity on a spacecraft 32000 km (5 Earth radii) above the Earth's surface if its mass is 1300 kg."

In my book there is problem very similar so I tried doing the same thing, but it did not work. What I did was:

Force of Gravity decreases with a square of the radius so 1/5^2 = 1/25 as strong. Then just F = 1/25mg, 1/25 X (1300)(9.8) = 509.6 N. My online homework submission Webassign says that is wrong. The bookk says I can solve it doing the long way also..

So I trie doing it the long way. F = G (mass 1 X mass 2) / (radius ^2)...soooo... G is a constant, 6.67 X 10^-11 Nm^2. mass 1 is the spaceship, so 1300 kg. mass 2 is earth, the constant being 5.98 X 10^24 kg. Change radius from km to m, so 32000 km = 32000000 m. or 3.2 X 10^7

F = 6.67 X 10^-11 X 1300 X (5.98 X 10^24) / ((3.2 X 10^7)^2) = 506 N which is wrong as well!

Please help, thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I see where you went wrong. Look at the part I made bold in your quotation below:

confusedbyphysics said:
This seems like it should be very easy but I keep getting the wrong answer. Here is the problem.

"Calculate the force of gravity on a spacecraft 32000 km (5 Earth radii) above the Earth's surface if its mass is 1300 kg."

In my book there is problem very similar so I tried doing the same thing, but it did not work. What I did was:

Force of Gravity decreases with a square of the radius so 1/5^2 = 1/25 as strong. Then just F = 1/25mg, 1/25 X (1300)(9.8) = 509.6 N. My online homework submission Webassign says that is wrong. The bookk says I can solve it doing the long way also..

So I trie doing it the long way. F = G (mass 1 X mass 2) / (radius ^2)...soooo... G is a constant, 6.67 X 10^-11 Nm^2. mass 1 is the spaceship, so 1300 kg. mass 2 is earth, the constant being 5.98 X 10^24 kg. Change radius from km to m, so 32000 km = 32000000 m. or 3.2 X 10^7

F = 6.67 X 10^-11 X 1300 X (5.98 X 10^24) / ((3.2 X 10^7)^2) = 506 N which is wrong as well!

Please help, thank you so much!

Oh. So would the radius be 6 and the force of gravity would be 1/36th??

EDIT: Yup, that was it. Thank you for the help Grogs. That one little thing that I missed screwed me up. I need to read more closely, lol.

Last edited:

Related to Force of gravity on a spaceship - can't get right answer.

What is the force of gravity on a spaceship?

The force of gravity on a spaceship depends on several factors, such as the mass of the spaceship, the mass of the planet or object it is orbiting, and the distance between the spaceship and the planet. It can be calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation.

Why can't I get the right answer for the force of gravity on a spaceship?

Calculating the force of gravity on a spaceship can be complex and may require knowledge of advanced physics and mathematics. It is important to ensure that all relevant variables are taken into account and that the correct formulas and units are used in the calculation.

How does the force of gravity affect a spaceship in orbit?

The force of gravity on a spaceship in orbit keeps it in a stable circular or elliptical path around a planet or object. This force is constantly pulling the spaceship towards the center of the planet, while the spaceship's velocity keeps it from falling towards the planet. This balance creates a stable orbit.

Is the force of gravity the same on a spaceship as it is on Earth?

No, the force of gravity on a spaceship can vary depending on its location in space. The farther away a spaceship is from a planet or object, the weaker the force of gravity will be. This is because the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects.

How does the force of gravity on a spaceship differ in different parts of the universe?

The force of gravity on a spaceship can vary depending on the mass and distance of the object it is near. For example, the force of gravity on a spaceship near a massive star will be much stronger than the force of gravity near a smaller planet. Additionally, the force of gravity on a spaceship will decrease as it travels farther away from any given object.