Force of Head Striking a Marble Floow

In summary, the speaker is asking for help calculating the force on their head when they fell from a lift and hit their head on a marble floor. They have a broken back and ribs, and are seeking a way to convey the impact on their brain to their doctors and therapists. They mention the formula f=ma but acknowledge the complexity of the calculation due to factors such as the rate at which their head slowed down upon impact and the transfer of force/energy/momentum to different organs in their head. They believe an accelerometer would be the most accurate way to measure the impact.
RickHam
Sorry, but my math is a bit rusty but -- Recently while using a wheel chair I fell from a lift banging my head on a marble floor. the lift was 6 feet off the ground, plus adding 4 feet while in a sitting position, the total fall was between 9 and 10 feet. Could someone help me calculate the force on my head when I hit the marble floor.

PS. broken back plus ribs. But I would really like to know the force on my head at point of impact. would i use the general formula F=ma. But i would really like someone knowledgeable in math/physics to do the calculation.\

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes the formula is f=ma, the complexity is that the 'a' is the rate at which your head slowed down as it hit.
And so depends on the details of how your skin, muscles and brain deformed on microsecond timescales.
Then there is the question of how much force/energy/momentum is transferred to which organs in your head on what timescale to asses any possible damage.

This is no joke -- it happened and I've been suffering the effects of it for a year. I need a way to convey the impact on my brain to my doctors / health care therapists. So please help calculate because I can't.

Your doctor can't diagnose a concussion? These types of calculations are misleading at best. There are so many factors involved that influence the time of deceleration that the only viable way to do this is to measure the shock with an accelerometer.

Related to Force of Head Striking a Marble Floow

1. What is the force of head striking a marble floor?

The force of head striking a marble floor depends on various factors such as the height from which the head falls, the weight of the head, and the type of impact. It is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or Newtons per square meter (N/m²).

2. Can the force of head striking a marble floor cause serious injury?

Yes, the force of head striking a marble floor can cause serious injury, especially if the impact is strong and direct. The skull and brain are vulnerable to damage from high forces, and it is important to seek medical attention if a head injury occurs.

3. How does the force of head striking a marble floor compare to other types of impacts?

The force of head striking a marble floor can vary greatly depending on the factors mentioned above. However, it is generally considered to be a high-impact force compared to other types of impacts. For example, a head striking a hard surface like marble may experience more force than a head striking a soft surface like a pillow.

4. Is there a way to reduce the force of head striking a marble floor?

Yes, there are ways to reduce the force of head striking a marble floor. One way is to use protective gear, such as a helmet, to absorb some of the impact. Another way is to try to land on a softer surface or to break the fall by using your hands or arms to cushion the impact.

5. Can the force of head striking a marble floor be measured accurately?

Yes, the force of head striking a marble floor can be measured accurately using specialized equipment such as force gauges and impact sensors. These tools can provide precise measurements of the force and impact duration, which can be useful for understanding the severity of a head injury and for developing safety protocols.