Force on a car passenger during acceleration.

In summary, using the formula F=ma and the given values of acceleration and mass, we can calculate that a passenger of mass 68 kg would experience a force of 393.52N during the car's acceleration from 0-100 km/h in 4.8 seconds. The simplicity of this solution may seem surprising, but it is in fact the correct approach.
Zsmitty3
1. A Car accelerates from 0-100 km/h (27.77 m/s) in 4.8s. What F (in Newtons) does a passenger of mass 68 kg experience during acceleration

2. I feel like I'm solving this too easily and am missing something

3. F=ma. a= Δv/ΔT.
27.77/4.8= 5.78
F= 68*5.78
F=393.52N ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Zsmitty3!

Zsmitty3 said:
1. A Car accelerates from 0-100 km/h (27.77 m/s) in 4.8s. What F (in Newtons) does a passenger of mass 68 kg experience during acceleration

2. I feel like I'm solving this too easily and am missing something

3. F=ma. a= Δv/ΔT.
27.77/4.8= 5.78
F= 68*5.78
F=393.52N ?

I haven't checked your arithmetic, but your method is entirely correct. The problem is not difficult conceptually. It's just a straight application of Newton's second law.

FAQ: Force on a car passenger during acceleration.

1. What is the force on a car passenger during acceleration?

The force on a car passenger during acceleration is the force that the car exerts on the passenger in the direction of the car's motion. This force is caused by the car's engine and acceleration.

2. How is the force on a car passenger during acceleration calculated?

The force on a car passenger during acceleration can be calculated using Newton's Second Law, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. In this case, the mass refers to the passenger's mass and the acceleration refers to the car's rate of acceleration.

3. Does the force on a car passenger change during acceleration?

Yes, the force on a car passenger changes during acceleration. As the car accelerates, the force on the passenger also increases. Once the car reaches a constant speed, the force on the passenger remains constant.

4. How does the force on a car passenger during acceleration affect the passenger?

The force on a car passenger during acceleration can affect the passenger in various ways. It can cause the passenger to feel pushed back into their seat, experience a sensation of weightlessness, or feel a slight pressure on their body.

5. Can the force on a car passenger during acceleration be dangerous?

In most cases, the force on a car passenger during acceleration is not dangerous. However, in instances of sudden or extreme acceleration, such as in a car accident, the force on the passenger can be dangerous and potentially cause injury. It is important for cars to have proper safety features, such as seatbelts, to protect passengers from excessive force during acceleration.