Force on Body: Showing No Effect on Acceleration

• Thread starter batballbat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: This will keep things more organized and make it easier for other people to find answers to their own questions. Thank you!In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that one force does not affect the action of another force when acting on a body simultaneously and obliquely. It is explained that forces obey the superposition principle and that the parallelogram law follows from this definition. The question of why force is defined as a vector is raised, and it is mentioned that this concept was first described by Newton. Lastly, a separate question is asked regarding the value of work when given the components of a force and displacement.
batballbat
if two forces act simulataneously on a body how can we show than one force does not effect the action of the other force? (provided they are acting obliquely)
Specifically, how can we show that the acceleration of one force remains the same in that direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
batballbat said:
if two forces act simulataneously on a body how can we show than one force does not effect the action of the other force? (provided they are acting obliquely)
Specifically, how can we show that the acceleration of one force remains the same in that direction?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Forces obey the superposition principle. The basic idea is that the total force acting on a body is the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on that body.

sorry u didnt understand my question. i ask it again: how is the parallelogram addition proved?

You posit that forces are vectors. Vectors obey the parallelogram law.

This is true by definition. What's the prove?

did i?
somebody help me with this

actually the first question is what i want. parallelogram follows from it.

You essentially want a proof of a definition. This was what I was trying to get at. Force is defined to be a vector quantity, therefore forces add by vector addition.

why is force a vector? why not electrical current?

It's a definition. What much else can I say? You make models of how the universe works. In those models you need to make some clear definitions. If your model describes the universe correctly then you keep it, if not, you get a new model.

I don't get what you are looking for.

my question arised when the vector addition of acceleration was not clear in my mind

Newton described the concept that forces act independently and add as a parallelogram as:

“A body, acted on by two forces simultaneously, will describe the diagonal of a parallelogram in the same time as it would describe the sides by those forces separately.”

This was done before the concept of vectors and is one of the reasons that vectors are defined the way that they are. Presumably Newton and others got the notion from observation and experiment. I don't know what setup they used to prove it but if you want to show that two forces acting simultaneously on a body don't affect each other you'll have to go to the lab measure the affect of one force then the other applied individually and then measure them applied simultaneously.

I feel like there should be a standard classroom experiment to show this but I can't think of one off hand.

I have a question too
what should be the value of the work,if vertical component is 2/3 time to the hoizontal component of the applied force,while the displacement in the direction of applied force is x metres?
please give me a complete solution...

VICKZZA said:
I have a question too
what should be the value of the work,if vertical component is 2/3 time to the hoizontal component of the applied force,while the displacement in the direction of applied force is x metres?
please give me a complete solution...

No, we don't do your homework for you here. Please read the forum rules. If you have given the problem a decent attempt and need help/guidance, then post your question in the homework help section *using the template* provided for homework help posts (in which you must show your attempt so far).

Also, please post separate topics in separate threads -- don't hijack other people's threads

Related to Force on Body: Showing No Effect on Acceleration

What is the definition of "Force on Body: Showing No Effect on Acceleration"?

"Force on Body: Showing No Effect on Acceleration" refers to a situation in which a force is applied to an object, but the object does not experience any change in its acceleration. In other words, the force does not cause the object to speed up, slow down, or change direction.

How is "Force on Body: Showing No Effect on Acceleration" measured?

Force on Body: Showing No Effect on Acceleration is typically measured using a force sensor or a spring scale. The force sensor measures the amount of force being applied to the object, while the spring scale measures the amount of force needed to counteract the applied force and keep the object at a constant velocity.

What are some examples of "Force on Body: Showing No Effect on Acceleration"?

An example of "Force on Body: Showing No Effect on Acceleration" is a book sitting on a table. The force of gravity is acting on the book, but because the table is providing an equal and opposite force, the book remains stationary. Another example is a car driving at a constant speed on a flat road. The engine is providing a forward force, but the friction from the road is balancing it out, resulting in a constant velocity.

How does "Force on Body: Showing No Effect on Acceleration" relate to Newton's First Law of Motion?

"Force on Body: Showing No Effect on Acceleration" is directly related to Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia. This law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of "Force on Body: Showing No Effect on Acceleration", the object is not experiencing any change in its velocity because the external forces acting on it are balanced.

What are the practical applications of understanding "Force on Body: Showing No Effect on Acceleration"?

Understanding "Force on Body: Showing No Effect on Acceleration" is essential in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. It allows us to predict and control the motion of objects, design structures and machines, and analyze the forces acting on a system. This knowledge is also crucial in everyday situations, such as driving a car or playing sports.