Force Problem all my answers don't work

• Thread starter liamtcarroll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Work
In summary, on a planet with a gravity of approximately 10 m/s, an elevator starts at a displacement of 0m with a velocity of 0 m/s. A student with a normal weight of 400 N stands on a scale in the elevator and records the scale reading for 20 seconds. The scale reading starts at 400, increases to 700 in 5 seconds, drops to 0 in the next 5 seconds, and then increases to 200 in the last 5 seconds. To find the velocity of the elevator at the end of 20 seconds, the acceleration of the student must be determined for each period and integrated over time to create an acceleration vs time graph. From this graph, the velocity at
liamtcarroll
Assume you are on a planet similar to Earth
where the acceleration of gravity is approximately 10 m/s
and the positive directions for
displacement, velocity, and acceleration are
upward.
At time t = 0 s, an elevator is at a displacement of x = 0 m with a velocity of v = 0 m/s.
A student whose normal weight is 400 N
stands on a scale in an elevator and records
the scale reading as a function of time.

0-5sec------400
5-10sec-----700
10-15sec----0
15-20sec----200what is the velocity of the elevator at the end of 20 sec

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does the scale measure?

Maybe a hint: if the elevator and person are not moving, the force the scale applies to the person standing on it must equal what?

You need to determine the acceleration of the student during each period. Then draw a acceleration vs time graph and integrate it up to 20 s.

liamtcarroll said:
Assume you are on a planet similar to Earth
where the acceleration of gravity is approximately 10 m/s
and the positive directions for
displacement, velocity, and acceleration are
upward.
At time t = 0 s, an elevator is at a displacement of x = 0 m with a velocity of v = 0 m/s.
A student whose normal weight is 400 N
stands on a scale in an elevator and records
the scale reading as a function of time.

0-5sec------400
5-10sec-----700
10-15sec----0
15-20sec----200

what is the velocity of the elevator at the end of 20 sec

Stop posting questions showing zero effort. You *must* show your attempt at a solution in your schoolwork posts. Check your PMs.

Based on the information provided, it is not possible to accurately determine the velocity of the elevator at the end of 20 seconds. This is because the scale readings do not provide enough information about the forces acting on the elevator. In order to accurately calculate the velocity, we would need to know the mass of the elevator and the forces acting on it, such as the force of gravity and any external forces. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately solve the force problem and determine the velocity of the elevator.

FAQ: Force Problem all my answers don't work

1. What is a force problem?

A force problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on an object in a given scenario. It usually involves using Newton's laws of motion to determine the net force and acceleration of the object.

2. Why are my answers to force problems not working?

There are a few reasons why your answers to force problems may not be working. It could be due to incorrect calculations, not taking all the forces into account, or not using the correct formula. It is important to carefully read the problem and double-check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

3. How do I solve a force problem?

To solve a force problem, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, apply Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Use this equation to calculate the net force and acceleration, and then use that information to solve for the unknown variable.

4. Can I use any formula to solve a force problem?

No, it is important to use the correct formula when solving a force problem. Different scenarios may require different formulas, such as for calculating gravitational force, frictional force, or normal force. Make sure you understand the given scenario and use the appropriate formula.

5. How can I check if my answer to a force problem is correct?

One way to check if your answer is correct is to use the given information in the problem to see if it makes sense. For example, if you calculated the acceleration of an object to be 10 m/s^2, but the object is supposed to be moving at a constant speed, then your answer is most likely incorrect. You can also ask a classmate or teacher to review your work and provide feedback.

Back