Force Problem Regarding Resultants.

• Thread starter neoncrazy101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: You should use the sign convention for both of them, or neither. In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving vectors and resultants. The example given is f1=6m @90 degrees North and f2=8m@19 degrees South East. The equations are broken down into components and calculations are done to find Rx and Ry. However, there is an error in the signage for F2y and the equilibrant is incorrectly used instead of the resultant. This should be corrected in order to get the correct answer.
neoncrazy101
Ok, I've been having issues with a type of homework problem and the following is the example of it. We are working with vectors and resultants.

Example of the question is f1=6m @90 degrees North. f2=8m@19 degrees South East. We have to figure out R and the degree's of R.

When I do I break the equations down into its components so I have F1x = 6cos90, f1y = 6sin90. F2x = 8cos19, F2y = 8sin19.

When I do the calculations I get F1x = 0, F1y = 6 and F2x = 7.56, F2y = 2.6. Thus then I get Rx = f1x+f2x = 7.56 and Ry = 8.6.

Thus Ex = -7.56 and Ey = -8.6.

Then I use the pythagoean theorem and I come up with E = 11.45.

Then I do tan^-1 (Ey/Ex) and I come up with 48.68 degrees.

Now then, when I put it into where I put the answer, I always get it wrong... So where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
neoncrazy101 said:
Ok, I've been having issues with a type of homework problem and the following is the example of it. We are working with vectors and resultants.

Example of the question is f1=6m @90 degrees North. f2=8m@19 degrees South East. We have to figure out R and the degree's of R.

When I do I break the equations down into its components so I have F1x = 6cos90, f1y = 6sin90. F2x = 8cos19, F2y = 8sin19.
But F2y points down, it should be negative
When I do the calculations I get F1x = 0, F1y = 6 and F2x = 7.56, F2y = 2.6. Thus then I get Rx = f1x+f2x = 7.56 and Ry = 8.6.
correct your signage for F2y.
Thus Ex = -7.56 and Ey = -8.6.

Then I use the pythagoean theorem and I come up with E = 11.45.

Then I do tan^-1 (Ey/Ex) and I come up with 48.68 degrees.

Now then, when I put it into where I put the answer, I always get it wrong... So where did I go wrong?
In addition to your signage error, you are not asked to find the equilibrant, you are asked to find the resultant. They both have the same magnitudes, but their directions are opposite.

Related to Force Problem Regarding Resultants.

What is force and how is it measured?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is calculated by multiplying mass (m) by acceleration (a), giving the equation force = mass x acceleration (F=ma).

What is a resultant force and how is it calculated?

A resultant force is the single force that has the same effect as multiple forces acting on an object. It is calculated by finding the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on the object.

What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

Balanced forces are forces that are equal in size and opposite in direction, resulting in a net force of zero and no change in the object's motion. Unbalanced forces are forces that are not equal and opposite, resulting in a net force and causing the object to accelerate in the direction of the larger force.

How do you find the direction of the resultant force?

The direction of the resultant force can be found by using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to calculate the angle between the individual forces and the horizontal or vertical axes.

What are some real-world applications of resultant forces?

Resultant forces are commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the effects of forces on structures and objects, such as calculating the stability of a building or the trajectory of a projectile. They are also important in sports, as athletes must consider the resultant force to achieve their desired movement or motion.