Force/Projectile Motion Problem

• Thread starter JoshMP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, Sam, weighing 75 kg, uses his jet-powered skis to ascend a 50-m-high, frictionless slope at a 10 degree angle. The skis provide a thrust of 200 N, and Sam maintains a 10 degree tilt while airborne. The problem asks for the distance Sam lands from the base of the cliff. Using the equations F=ma and kinematic equations, the x and y accelerations are found to be 2.63 m/s^2. The length of the ramp can be calculated using Vi = 0 and the 10 degree angle. During the ramp part of the journey, the only forces acting on Sam are the thrust and a component of his weight along the ramp surface.
JoshMP

Homework Statement

Sam (75 kg) takes off up a 50-m-high, 10 degree frictionless slope on his jet-powered skis. The skis have a thrust of 200 N. He keeps his skis tilted at 10 degrees after becoming airborne. How far does Sam land from the base of the cliff?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Kinematic Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram with Thrust pointing ten degrees out and with gravity pointing down. I set (Fnet)x=max, and solved for ax..which I found to be 2.63 m/s^2. I now have the accelerations of Sam along the x and y axes. I don't have v0, s, or t. How do I solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question isn't clear. Is the ramp 50 m high or 50 m long? Where is the ramp relative to the cliff?

I don't see how you got 2.63 for the acceleration.
It seems to me you have to work out the part while he is on the ramp and the part where he is flying separately.

Delphi51 said:
The question isn't clear. Is the ramp 50 m high or 50 m long? Where is the ramp relative to the cliff?

I don't see how you got 2.63 for the acceleration.
It seems to me you have to work out the part while he is on the ramp and the part where he is flying separately.

The edge of the ramp is 50 m high. The edge of the ramp *is* the cliff.

I got 2.63 for ax by setting (Fnet)x equal to the x coordinate of Thrust. Thrust=200 N, so Thrust(x)= 200 cos 10=197=m*ax. Ergo ax=2.63 m/s^2.

The part while he is on the ramp cannot be calculated since no distance or initial speed is given. My strategy for solving the problem was to find the x and y accelerations by finding the net forces from the thrust and gravity, then using those x & y accelerations in the kinematic equations and treating the rest as a projectile motion problem, using the moment he leaves the cliff as t=0.

I would do the ramp part by assuming Vi = 0 and finding the length of the ramp using the 10 degrees and 50 m height. While on the ramp, Fg acts downward and Thrust along the ramp. The ramp also pushes on the guy, cancelling out the part of Fg that is into the ramp. So the only forces are the thrust and the component of Fg that is along the ramp surface.

I haven't thought about the flight part yet. I guess you'll have accelerated motion in both horizontal and vertical directions.

Related to Force/Projectile Motion Problem

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that causes an object to accelerate, change direction, or change shape. It is measured in newtons (N) and is represented by a vector with both magnitude and direction.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object in a vertical and horizontal direction simultaneously, under the influence of gravity. This type of motion is often seen in objects being thrown, launched, or dropped.

What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight varies depending on the strength of gravity, while mass remains constant regardless of location.

How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It can affect the trajectory and speed of a projectile, causing it to slow down and deviate from its expected path.

What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. This relationship is represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.