Force pushing two gliders on an air track.

In summary, a 6N force is pushing two gliders along an air track. The 200 g spring between the gliders is compressed. The acceleration of the system is 5 m/s^2. The force of the spring on Glider A is 4N to the left, while the force of the spring on Glider B is 3N to the right.
kevinius
A 6N force pushes to gliders along an air track. The 200 g spring between the gliders is compressed. How much force does the spring exert on (a) glider A and (b) glider B?

Mass of Glider A = 400 g
Mass of Glider B = 600 g

I just want to verify that I solved this problem correctly. If I've made some mistake, please let me know.

3. I first set up my free body diagram for all three objects. Because the gliders are on the air track, friction is negligible. I also know that I don't have to consider forces in the y-direction because there is no acceleration there. Because both gliders are moving to the right, their acceleration is the same.

Find acceleration:
6N/(0.4 kg) = 15 m/s^2

Based on my free body diagram of the spring, the summation of the forces in the x-direction is:

F spring = F (s on B) - F (s on A) = m(s) * a

= F (s on B) - F (s on A) = (0.20 kg)(15 m/s^2)

= F (s on B) - F (s on A) = 3N

F (s on A) is equal to the F (A on s) = 6N

F (s on B) = 3N + 6N = 9N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kevinius said:
A 6N force pushes to gliders along an air track. The 200 g spring between the gliders is compressed. How much force does the spring exert on (a) glider A and (b) glider B?

Mass of Glider A = 400 g
Mass of Glider B = 600 g

I just want to verify that I solved this problem correctly. If I've made some mistake, please let me know.

3. I first set up my free body diagram for all three objects. Because the gliders are on the air track, friction is negligible. I also know that I don't have to consider forces in the y-direction because there is no acceleration there. Because both gliders are moving to the right, their acceleration is the same.

Find acceleration:
6N/(0.4 kg) = 15 m/s^2
This is not the FBD of the first block. More than one force acts on it. The 6 N force acts on the entire blocks and spring system. Solve for the acceleration of the system, then look at a FBD of each block. Be sure of the direction of the forces.

Okay. So the acceleration of the total system is: 6N/(0.4 kg + 0.2 kg + (0.6 kg) = 5 m/s^2.

Since the 6N force applies to the entire system, when I do my FBD of glider A, would it have the 6N force to the right and the force of the spring on A to the left?

kevinius said:
Okay. So the acceleration of the total system is: 6N/(0.4 kg + 0.2 kg + (0.6 kg) = 5 m/s^2.

Since the 6N force applies to the entire system, when I do my FBD of glider A, would it have the 6N force to the right and the force of the spring on A to the left?
yes, that is correct. Compressive or pushing forces always act toward the object on which they act.

The sum of the forces for Glider A = 6N - F (s on A) = 2N. This leaves F(s on A) equal to 4N. I do know that this force is pointing to the left.

The spring only has two forces acting upon it: the force of B exerted on the spring and the force of A exerted on the spring. The sum of forces of the spring = F (A on s) - F (B on s) = 1N.

The F (A on s) is equal to the F (s on A), thus:

4N - F (B on s) = 1N ===> -F (B on s) = -3N ===> F (B on s) = 3N.

F (B on s) and F (s on B) are the same as well, but I know that the force of the spring on Glider B must be greater than the force on Glider A because the difference in mass.

What is it that I'm missing?

Your answers are correct, but your logic is not. If both A and B accelerate at the same rate, it is not the spring force that must be greater on the heavier mass, but rather, use Newton 2 to determine which net force must be greater.

Last edited:
The problem is asking what force the spring is exerting on Glider A and Glider B. The spring force on A = -4N. The spring force on B = 3N.

kevinius said:
The problem is asking what force the spring is exerting on Glider A and Glider B. The spring force on A = -4N. The spring force on B = 3N.
Yes, correct.

Wow...it was that simple. I appreciate you nudging me in the right direction!

Related to Force pushing two gliders on an air track.

1. What is force pushing?

Force pushing is the act of applying a force to an object in order to make it move in a certain direction.

2. How does force pushing work on two gliders?

When force is applied to two gliders on an air track, they will move in opposite directions due to Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. What factors affect the force required to push two gliders on an air track?

The mass of the gliders, the amount of friction on the air track, and the angle at which the force is applied are all factors that can affect the force required to push two gliders on an air track.

4. How is force pushing on two gliders measured?

Force pushing on two gliders can be measured using a force sensor, which can calculate the amount of force being applied to the gliders and in which direction.

5. What are some practical applications of force pushing on two gliders?

Force pushing on two gliders can be used to study the principles of motion and force in a controlled environment. It can also be applied in real-world scenarios, such as in the design of vehicles and machines that require precise and controlled movement.