Force Requireed to Close the Gate on the Bottom of a Hopper

• Thread starter taylorcameron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Gate
In summary, T.C. is working on an engineering design project for university and is struggling to calculate the forces required for some mechanical equipment. The machine being designed is a small scale paving machine with a hopper at the rear that will raise and lower to accommodate different asphalt thicknesses. The hopper has four doors attached to hydraulic cylinders, which will allow for variability in asphalt widths. T.C. has calculated the force required to open the doors, but is struggling to calculate the force required to close them. They have found the frictional forces involved and are unsure how to account for the additional force needed to cut through the asphalt when closing the doors. T.C. has also mentioned concerns about potential damage to the machine if the asphalt supply is
taylorcameron
Hi Everyone,

I am working on an engineering design project for University, and am struggling to calculate the forces some of the mechanical equipment will require.

*This is a conceptual design. If anyone would like more details on how it is meant function, or has suggestions, feel free to post questions below or PM me. I have left out some details in an attempt to focus on the current problem I am experiencing.*

The machine being designed is a small scale paving machine. The paver will have a hopper at the rear that will raise and lower between 2-6 inches to accommodate different asphalt thicknesses. On the bottom of the hopper are four doors that slide horizontally. Each of these doors are attached to a hydraulic cylinder. Having four doors that operate independently will allow for variability in asphalt widths. For a visual aid, please see Attachment A (Attachment A does not have the hydraulics attached).

I believe I have calculated the force required to open the door correctly, however, I am struggling to calculate the amount of force required to close the door.

When opening the door, the force required to move the door is a force greater than the static friction forces.

*The static friction force for hot asphalt on steel is unknown. However, I was able to find Wet asphalt on Rubber from the link below. The asphalt on rubber coefficient of friction would be greater than asphalt on steel, so I used it in the calculations for this project. I'm aware it will result in an over design.*

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/friction-coefficients-d_778.html

Please see Attachment B for a Free Body Diagram and calculations.
Not shown on that attachment are the following variables.
Weight of Asphalt = 2200 lbs
Number of Doors = 4
Weight of Door = 38 lbs
Asphalt Weight/Door = 550 lbs
(Asphalt Weight + Weight of Door) = 558 lbs

The frictional forces involved are: Steel on Steel (SS) and Asphalt on Steel (AS)Now to where I am struggling. Once the doors open, the asphalt will fall to the ground. When closing the door, it will have to cut through the asphalt and I am not sure how to account for this additional force. The doors will rest in a C-Bracket, and will push the asphalt through the back of the C bracket as it closes.

Question.
How do I calculate the force required to close the gate and push through this asphalt.

I know in manufacturing they use shearing stresses to calculate the forces required to cut material, however, hot asphalt is not a solid like the materials used in manufacturing.

I'm really scratching my head on this one, and worry I may be over thinking it.

I apologize if this question is not in the right thread. If you know a thread better suited for this question, please let me know.

Thanks,

- T.C.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing I can contribute here, apart from pointing out that if the machine is in motion the task will be manageable, but if the machine is stalled you will be asking the doors to slice through an unmoving pile of partly-set asphalt. Or say the tar supply is exhausted, then this "asphalt" may be just settled dry crushed rock. In such a situation, I think the operator may need to "judder" the controls back and forth to force the door to make any headway at all. I see potential to buckle or bust a few things here.

Good luck with your project. :wink:

Apparently I forgot to post my attachments.

Attachments

• Attachment A.jpg
    Attachment A.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 563
  • Attachment B.jpg
    Attachment B.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 505
Does anyone know a better thread to submit this post?

Thanks,

- T.C.

I would suggest considering the following factors when calculating the force required to close the gate on the bottom of the hopper:

1. The weight of the asphalt being pushed through the gate: As mentioned in the content, the weight of the asphalt is 550 lbs. This weight will need to be overcome by the force applied to the gate.

2. The viscosity of the asphalt: Hot asphalt is a highly viscous material, meaning it has a high resistance to flow. This will need to be taken into account when calculating the force required to push it through the gate.

3. The angle of the gate: The gate will not be closing completely horizontally, but at an angle due to the slope of the hopper. This angle will affect the force required to push the asphalt through the gate.

4. The material of the gate and C-bracket: The frictional forces between the gate and the C-bracket will also need to be considered, as they will affect the force required to close the gate.

To calculate the force required, I would suggest using a combination of equations, such as the force balance equation and the equations for shear stress and viscosity. It may also be helpful to conduct some experiments to determine the actual force required in this situation.

I hope this helps and all the best with your project!

Related to Force Requireed to Close the Gate on the Bottom of a Hopper

What is the force required to close the gate on the bottom of a hopper?

The amount of force required to close the gate on the bottom of a hopper depends on several factors, including the size and weight of the gate, the angle of the gate, and the material it is made of. It is important to carefully consider these factors when designing a gate to ensure that it can be easily opened and closed without exerting too much force.

How does the size of the gate affect the force required to close it?

The size of the gate plays a significant role in determining the force required to close it. A larger gate will require more force to close compared to a smaller gate, as there is more surface area to move. Additionally, a larger gate may also require a stronger support structure to handle the increased force.

Does the angle of the gate affect the force required to close it?

Yes, the angle of the gate can have a significant impact on the force required to close it. A gate that is positioned at a steeper angle will require more force to close compared to a gate that is more horizontal. This is because a steeper angle creates more resistance against the gate as it is being closed.

What role does the material of the gate play in the force required to close it?

The material of the gate can greatly influence the force required to close it. A gate made of a heavier and denser material will require more force to close compared to a gate made of a lighter material. Additionally, the smoothness or roughness of the material can also impact the amount of force needed to close the gate.

Can the force required to close the gate be reduced?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce the force required to close the gate on the bottom of a hopper. One way is to design the gate with a more horizontal angle, which will reduce the resistance against the gate. Another way is to use a lighter material for the gate or to incorporate mechanical aids, such as a pulley system, to help with closing the gate. Additionally, regular maintenance and lubrication of the gate mechanism can also help reduce the force required to close it.