Force vector without acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force vector for a truck pushing up a 30 degree incline with a mass of 45 tons. The attempt at a solution uses the equation \vec{F} = ||F|| cos\theta i + ||F|| sin\theta j and comes up with an answer of 45 cos30 i + 45 sin30 j. However, there is confusion about whether this is the correct answer as it only provides the mass of the truck and not any other relevant information. The conversation also mentions the poorly worded problem and the assumptions that need to be made in order to arrive at the result for the pushing force vector. It is suggested that the problem should be more specific in its wording to
miraiw
This is just to see if I am totally confused or making sense.

Homework Statement

A truck is pushing up a hill on a 30 degree incline. It has a mass of 45 tons. Find the force vector for the truck.

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{F}[/tex] = ||F|| cos[tex]\theta[/tex] i + ||F|| sin[tex]\theta[/tex] j

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\vec{F}[/tex] = 45 cos30 i + 45 sin30 j
This is the answer that I assume was wanted, but I don't think that I can say what the force is given only the mass of the truck. After I asked my physics teacher (not the one who gave the quiz), he told me that this is the answer when moving at a constant velocity. If it was stated in the problem that the truck moved at a constant velocity is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a poorly worded problem. Are you working in the USA system of measure? If so, the 45 ton 'mass' of the truck is really its weight...it weighs 90,000 pounds. With this assumption, and the assumptions that the truck is being pushed up the incline at constant velocity, and with a force parallel to the incline, and with no other forces acting on the truck besides its weight, and the x-axis is the horizontal axis, and the problem is asking for the pushing force vector, please show how you would arrive at that result for the pushing force vector, in units of pounds. The problem should be more specific in its wording, since there are too many assumptions you have to make.

FAQ: Force vector without acceleration

1. What is a force vector without acceleration?

A force vector without acceleration is a physical quantity that represents both the magnitude and direction of a force acting on an object, but does not cause the object to change its state of motion. This means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

2. How is a force vector without acceleration different from a force vector with acceleration?

A force vector without acceleration and a force vector with acceleration are different in that a force vector with acceleration causes the object to change its state of motion, while a force vector without acceleration does not. In other words, a force vector with acceleration causes the object to accelerate, while a force vector without acceleration does not.

3. What is the mathematical representation of a force vector without acceleration?

A force vector without acceleration is represented by the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. However, since there is no acceleration in this case, the value of a is equal to zero, resulting in F = 0.

4. Can a force vector without acceleration cause a change in an object's motion?

No, a force vector without acceleration cannot cause a change in an object's motion. This is because acceleration is directly proportional to force, so if there is no acceleration, there is no force acting on the object to cause a change in its motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of a force vector without acceleration?

Some real-life examples of a force vector without acceleration include a book resting on a table, a car traveling at a constant speed on a straight road, and a person standing still on the ground. These objects experience a force, but since there is no acceleration, their state of motion remains unchanged.

Back