Force Vectors and Dot Products

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of forces and positions in an ensemble of atoms. The dot product between the force on atom A and the position of atom B is not the magnitude of the force in the direction of B. The dot product between the two forces is not the attractive force between the atoms. Instead, the directional vector from A to B should be used to calculate the force on A towards B.
ewan_71
Hello all :smile:,

I am interested in the following problem:

In an ensemble of atoms, the forces on atom A and atom B are given by the vectors Fa=Fax+Fay+Faz and Fb=Fbx+Fby+Fbz, respectively.

Their respective positions are given by,

Pa=Pax+Pay+Paz and Pb=Pbx+Pby+Pbz

I have two questions:

(1) Would I be right in thinking that the dot product of Fa and Pb will give the magnitude of the force on atom A in the direction of atom B?

(2) Also, is the dot product of Fa and Fb the attractive force between the atoms?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile::smile:!

Ewan.

Physics news on Phys.org
ewan_71 said:
I have two questions:

(1) Would I be right in thinking that the dot product of Fa and Pb will give the magnitude of the force on atom A in the direction of atom B?
No. To find the component of Fa in some direction, take its dot product with the unit vector in that direction. The direction from A to B will be parallel to Pb-Pa.

(2) Also, is the dot product of Fa and Fb the attractive force between the atoms?
No. (That quantity would not even have units of force.)

No and no.

You would want the directional vector that points from A to B. So it would be:
[tex]\hat{R}_{ab} = \frac{\mathbf{P}_b-\mathbf{P}_a}{\left|\mathbf{P}_b-\mathbf{P}_a\right|}[/tex]
Then you would do the dot product of Fa and \hat{R_{ab}}.

I assume by attractive force you just mean the magnitude of the force in the direction towards the other atom (regardless of whether or not the atom's are causing the attraction since you do not specify how these forces arise). The force on A towards B is just Fa\cdot\hat{R_{ab}}\hat{R_{ab}}. That is, it is the dot product of Fa and R_{ab} scaling the vector R_{ab}. Likewise, for B, you use Fb and -R_{ab}.

Thanks guys that's extremely helpful! :)

Related to Force Vectors and Dot Products

1. What is a force vector?

A force vector is a mathematical representation of a physical force, which includes both magnitude and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude of the force and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the force.

2. How is a force vector different from a regular vector?

A force vector is a special type of vector that represents a physical force, while a regular vector can represent any type of quantity, such as velocity or displacement. Additionally, force vectors have both magnitude and direction, while regular vectors may only have magnitude.

3. What is a dot product?

A dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and then taking the cosine of the angle between them. The resulting value represents the projection of one vector onto the other.

4. How is the dot product related to force vectors?

The dot product is used to calculate the work done by a force vector. When a force acts on an object and causes it to move a certain distance in the direction of the force, the work done is equal to the dot product of the force vector and the displacement vector of the object.

5. What is the significance of the dot product in physics?

The dot product is a fundamental concept in physics, as it is used to calculate important quantities such as work, power, and energy. It is also used in the equations of motion to determine the direction of acceleration and to calculate the angle between two vectors.