What Does the Area Under a Force vs Time Graph Represent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between force, impulse, and slope on a graph. The impulse of a force is defined as the product of the average force and the change in time. The area under a force-time graph is equal to the impulse of the force, and this applies to both constant and changing forces. The slope of the graph is not relevant, as it is the limit of the change in force over the change in time. The area under the graph can be found by dividing it into small pieces and adding them together, or by taking the integral of the force over time.
Tylemaker
1. The problem
I have trouble understanding slope and area on graphs. For a force as a function of time graph the area is equal to the impulse. Why is that? And what is the slope equal to? How do I know?2. Homework Equations
p=mv
fΔt=mΔv
3. The Attempt at a Solution
So the slope should be equal to f/t?
What on Earth is force divided by time equal to?
And is the area underneath the graph always equal to y*x (in this case y=force, x=time)? So area = f*t = impulse?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tylemaker said:
1. The problem
I have trouble understanding slope and area on graphs. For a force as a function of time graph the area is equal to the impulse. Why is that? And what is the slope equal to? How do I know?

The impulse of a force is defined as I=FΔt for a force F acting for a very short time. And the change of momentum p=mv is equal to the impulse of the force. I=Δp=mvf-mvi.

See the first picture: a constant force is plotted. Its impulse is FΔt= F(tf-ti), the area under the line F(t) between the initial and final times.

The second picture shows a force which grows linearly with time. Its impulse is equal to the area under the line, which is the same as the average force multiplied by the elapsed time: I=FavΔt=Fav(tf-ti).
The picture on the right shows a general force-time plot. Again, the impulse of the force between ti and tf is equal to the area under the curved line.

If you know the impulse of a force imparted to a body, it is equal to the change of momentum. I=mvf-mvi.

Tylemaker said:
2. Homework Equations
p=mv
fΔt=mΔv

"f " means the average force during the time period Δt.

Tylemaker said:
3. The Attempt at a Solution
So the slope should be equal to f/t?
What on Earth is force divided by time equal to?
And is the area underneath the graph always equal to y*x (in this case y=force, x=time)? So area = f*t = impulse?

The slope of the f(t) graph is irrelevant. It is not f/t, but the limit of Δf/Δt when Δt get shorter and shorter. (If you study Calculus you will learn that it is the time derivative of f(t).)

The area is fΔt in case f is constant. Otherwise you slice the whole area and add the small pieces f(t)Δt together. You will learn that the area is equal to the integral of f(t) between ti and tf.

ehild

Attachments

• impulse.JPG
    impulse.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 4,462

FAQ: What Does the Area Under a Force vs Time Graph Represent?

1. What is a Force vs Time graph (Impulse)?

A Force vs Time graph (Impulse) is a graphical representation of the relationship between force and time during a physical interaction. It shows the changes in force over a period of time, and the area under the graph represents the impulse, which is the change in momentum of an object during the interaction.

2. How is impulse calculated from a Force vs Time graph?

Impulse can be calculated by finding the area under the Force vs Time graph. This can be done by breaking the graph into smaller shapes, such as rectangles or triangles, and finding the area of each shape. The sum of these areas will give the total impulse during the interaction.

3. What does the slope of a Force vs Time graph represent?

The slope of a Force vs Time graph represents the rate of change of force over time, also known as the force gradient. A steeper slope indicates a higher force and a flatter slope indicates a lower force. The slope can also be used to calculate the average force during an interaction.

4. What does a horizontal line on a Force vs Time graph mean?

A horizontal line on a Force vs Time graph means that there is no net force acting on an object during the interaction. This could indicate that the object is at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

5. How is the area under a Force vs Time graph related to the change in momentum?

The area under a Force vs Time graph is directly related to the change in momentum of an object. The greater the area, the greater the change in momentum. This is because impulse is equal to the change in momentum, as stated by Newton's Second Law of Motion.

Back