Forced Vibrating Membranes and Resonance - Separation of Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for A_n in the equation d^2/dt^2 (A_n) + c^2*lambda_n*A_n = q_n using the variation of parameters method. The final step is to reconcile the two integrals obtained into a single definite integral, which can be simplified using trigonometric identities.
veneficus5

Homework Statement

In the midst of Forced Vibrating Membranes and Resonance Utt = c^2*delsquared(U) + Q(heat source)

Arrive at eigenfunction series solution where the coefficients are given by
d^2/dt^2 (A_n) + c^2*lambda_n*A_n = q_n

Homework Equations

according to the book, I am supposed to arrive here

A_n = c1 * cos (c*sqrt(lambda_n)*t) + c2 * sin (c*sqrt(lambda_n)*t) <--- homogeneous part of solution + particular solution ---> integral from 0 to t of (q_n * sin (c*sqrt(lambda_n)*(t-tau)) / (c*sqrt(lambda_n)) with respect to tau.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now when I try the variation of parameters (given my two homogeneous solutions already which match with the book),
I get
-cos(c*sqrt(lambda_n)*t) * integral of ( q_n * sin (c*sqrt(lambda_n)*t) / c*sqrt(lambda_n) + -sin(c*sqrt(lambda_n)*t) * integral of ( q_n * sin (c*sqrt(lambda_n)*t) / c*sqrt(lambda_n)

How do I reconcile this into the single integral term, the definite integral that I am supposed to get?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
veneficus5 said:
-cos(c*sqrt(lambda_n)*t) * integral of ( q_n * sin (c*sqrt(lambda_n)*t) / c*sqrt(lambda_n) + -sin(c*sqrt(lambda_n)*t) * integral of ( q_n * sin (c*sqrt(lambda_n)*t) / c*sqrt(lambda_n)

How do I reconcile this into the single integral term, the definite integral that I am supposed to get?

Thanks

If you write these integrals in terms of the dummy variable [tex]\tau[/tex], you can simplify the expression using the trig identities for [tex]\sin(A\pm B)[/tex]. You should double check your signs, since your expression doesn't seem to reduce to the answer that you claim.

Related to Forced Vibrating Membranes and Resonance - Separation of Variables

1. What are forced vibrating membranes?

Forced vibrating membranes are thin, flexible materials that are set into motion by an external force or vibration. They can be found in various natural and man-made systems, such as drums, cymbals, and the vocal cords.

2. How does resonance occur in forced vibrating membranes?

Resonance occurs in forced vibrating membranes when the frequency of the external force or vibration matches the natural frequency of the membrane. This causes the membrane to vibrate with a larger amplitude, resulting in a stronger and more sustained vibration.

3. What is the role of separation of variables in studying forced vibrating membranes and resonance?

Separation of variables is a mathematical technique used to solve complex problems, such as studying the behavior of forced vibrating membranes. It allows us to break down a complex problem into simpler parts, making it easier to solve and understand.

4. How is the natural frequency of a forced vibrating membrane determined?

The natural frequency of a forced vibrating membrane is determined by its physical properties, such as its size, shape, and material. It is also affected by external factors, such as tension, temperature, and pressure.

5. What are some real-world applications of forced vibrating membranes and resonance?

Forced vibrating membranes and resonance have many practical applications, including musical instruments, speakers, and microphones. They are also used in engineering and scientific research to study the behavior of materials and structures under external forces and vibrations.