Forces between two immovable objects

• B
  • Thread starter Saint.V8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses the forces acting on a hydraulic jack placed in a steel frame. It is clarified that the top and bottom rails each receive 10 tons of force, not 5 tons as initially thought. The concept of Newton's third law is applied to explain the equilibrium in the system. It is also mentioned that thinking in terms of tension can make the understanding easier.
Saint.V8
This is most likely dead simple but my brain has shut down for the day!

Lets say a Hydraulic Jack is placed in a square steel frame so once the jack is operated it acts upon the top and bottom rails which are held in place by the two side rails...

The jack is pumped up to say 10 tonnes - does this mean that the top rail and bottom rail are receiving 5 tonnes each or 10 tonnes each?

My brain for some reason just won't tell me which one is correct and it is most frustrating!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since it is a hydraulic jack and the pressure is same everywhere in a hydraulic system, there must be 10 tonnes of force on both the top and bottom rails. It is not halved.

Likes Saint.V8 and Dale
Saint.V8 said:
The jack is pumped up to say 10 tonnes - does this mean that the top rail and bottom rail are receiving 5 tonnes each or 10 tonnes each?
The top rail is subject to 10 tons upward force. The bottom rail is subject to 10 tons downward force. Those forces are on different objects and in different directions. They do not add to 20 tons.

The jack is subject to 10 tons of downward force from the top rail. The jack is subject to 10 tons of upward force from the bottom rail. Those forces act on the same object. They add - as vectors. Since they are in opposite directions, they add to a net of 0 tons. The jack does not move as a result.

The jack is under a compressive stress of 10 tons. If you were to slice the jack in two at any point, you would find the two halves pushing on each other with 10 tons of force.

Likes Saint.V8 and Dale
jbriggs444 said:
The top rail is subject to 10 tons upward force. The bottom rail is subject to 10 tons downward force. Those forces are on different objects and in different directions. They do not add to 20 tons.

The jack is subject to 10 tons of downward force from the top rail. The jack is subject to 10 tons of upward force from the bottom rail. Those forces act on the same object. They add - as vectors. Since they are in opposite directions, they add to a net of 0 tons. The jack does not move as a result.

The jack is under a compressive stress of 10 tons. If you were to slice the jack in two at any point, you would find the two halves pushing on each other with 10 tons of force.
The fact that our two posts are often seconds within each other is uncanny.

Likes Saint.V8 and jbriggs444
You bunch of superstars...now it has been explained, it is dead simple really...

For some unknown reason, my brain couldn't fathom out which side of the argument was correct - I have been working on a simulation model and the results it was giving me just didn't seem right, and it is because I was halving the total load between the rails...rather than ensuring the jack was in equilibrium within the system.

You wouldn't think I am 39 years and been doing this sort of thing for most of my working life...I just had a total brain failure.

Many thanks chaps for keeping me sane!

Likes Nik_2213, jbriggs444 and lekh2003
Newton's third law applies here. If the jack is pushing with 10 tons weight then that is what each rail is getting.
It could be easier if you think in terms of tension. Imagine a string holding up a 2kg mass via a spring balance It will be pulling with the 20N (approx) up on the mass and down on the hook in the ceiling with 20N.
The only time the forces will be less is if the forces at one end are in the same direction and 'shared', say there are two hooks in the ceiling and a Vee in the string - 10N each, then.

Likes Saint.V8
Saint.V8 said:
The jack is pumped up to say 10 tonnes - does this mean that the top rail and bottom rail are receiving 5 tonnes each...
Only if the jack manufacturer was very cheeky.

Likes lekh2003

FAQ: Forces between two immovable objects

1. What are the forces that act between two immovable objects?

The forces that act between two immovable objects are known as reactive forces. These forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, according to Newton's third law of motion.

2. Can reactive forces be seen or measured?

No, reactive forces cannot be seen or measured directly. They are only observed through the effects they have on the objects they act upon.

3. How do reactive forces differ from active forces?

Reactive forces are only present when an external force is applied to an object, while active forces are the forces that cause an object to move or accelerate. Reactive forces are always equal and opposite to the external force, while active forces can vary in magnitude and direction.

4. Do reactive forces always act in pairs?

Yes, according to Newton's third law, reactive forces always act in pairs. This means that for every action force, there is an equal and opposite reaction force.

5. Can reactive forces be canceled out?

No, reactive forces cannot be canceled out as they are always present in equal and opposite pairs. However, they can be balanced out if the objects they act upon have equal and opposite forces acting on them.