Forces exerted by a liquid during a tank rupture

In summary: The second equation is the right one for calculating the pressure at any height in the tank. The first equation is the right one for calculating the force on any small area element at that height. The fourth equation gives the total force at the bottom of the tank. The 9 meter figure is used in the second equation to find the pressure at the bottom of the tank. In summary, on January 15, 1919, a cylindrical metal tank storing molasses in Boston ruptured and caused a flood of molasses in the streets, killing pedestrians and horses and damaging buildings. The density of the molasses was 1600 kg/m3 and the tank had a height of 28.1 meters and a diameter of 27.4
kvan

Homework Statement

On the afternoon of January 15, 1919, an unusually warm day in Boston, a 28.1 m high, 27.4 m diameter cylindrical metal tank used for storing molasses ruptured. Molasses flooded the streets in a 9 meter deep stream, killing pedestrians and horses and knocking down buildings. The molasses had a density of 1600 kg/m3. If the tank was full before the accident, what was the total outward force the molasses exerted on its sides?

Homework Equations

[tex] F= A\deltaP [/tex]
[tex] P= \rho gh [/tex]
[tex] F= \int (\rho g)ydy [/tex]
[tex] F= (\rho g) 1/2y^2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the above equations other than the integral equations to solve. Which led me to having [tex] F= (9* \pi27.4)(1600)(9.81)(9) [/tex]
I was told this was incorrect and should try to integrate but I am not really sure how to use the integration formulas.

Physics news on Phys.org
If P is potential energy, then P = density x volume x gravitational acceleration x height

The derivative of potential energy with respect to position is Force, not the other way around. The indefinite integral of Force is potential Energy, all with respect to position.

You would need a negative sign in front of the derivative because as Potential Energy (function of position) increases with distance to arbitrary zero then force decreases. Remember a planet that goes further away from a star would be less and less attracted.

But how would that relate to the force of a liquid acting on a container that then breaks?

Check your units on those equations, and use the height of the tank instead of the height of the stream.

If I use the height of the tank instead of the height of the stream I get ~1067MN. That number seems a little high. Please not that I don't actually have the answer. I was just told by my prof that my original method was wrong and recommended I use integration.

You need to integrate the pressure over the area inside the tank, and the 9 meter figure has nothing to do with that. The third equation above should have dA instead of dy.

Related to Forces exerted by a liquid during a tank rupture

What is the definition of forces exerted by a liquid?

Forces exerted by a liquid refer to the pressure and buoyancy that a liquid exerts on objects within it. This force is a result of the weight of the liquid and the depth at which an object is submerged.

How do forces exerted by a liquid differ from forces exerted by a solid?

Unlike forces exerted by a solid, forces exerted by a liquid are not constant. They vary based on the depth and surface area of the object, as well as the density and pressure of the liquid.

What is the relationship between forces exerted by a liquid and the shape of an object?

The shape of an object determines the amount and direction of forces exerted by a liquid. In general, objects with a larger surface area will experience a greater force, while objects with a smaller surface area will experience a smaller force.

How does the density of a liquid affect the forces it exerts?

The density of a liquid has a direct relationship with the forces it exerts. A denser liquid will exert a greater force on an object than a less dense liquid.

What are some real-life applications of understanding forces exerted by a liquid?

Understanding forces exerted by a liquid is important in many industries, such as engineering, architecture, and marine transportation. It is also crucial for understanding the behavior of fluids in natural phenomena, such as ocean currents and weather patterns.