Forces in equilibrium. Tension, ring, pulley and lots of string [With Picture]

In summary, the problem involves finding the values of angles a and c, as well as the tension between points A and B (TAB). The system is at equilibrium and the pulley is considered to be frictionless. The solution involves using trigonometric laws, such as the law of cosines and the law of sines, to find the missing variables. However, with only two equations and three unknowns, further assistance is needed to solve the problem.
WilliamA

Homework Statement

To make it easier on the people who will try to help me, I've scanned the problem:
wfydg.jpg

We are interested in finding the following variables:
Angles a and c
The tension between A and B (TAB)

Homework Equations

The pulley is a "perfect pulley" no friction
The system is at equilibrium
We consider on side A that the string is attached to the wall, or a hook, it's fixed.
All three cords are attached to a ring situated at position B
There is nothing between A and C, but we know there is 3 meters of distance between the two

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so I decided to make a Free Body Diagram taking the ring as the subject. It goes like that:

ChGdh.jpg

Considering the pulley, I guess we can assume that TBC is going to to be the same as FA.

After that I decided to decompose each of the three forces, and since everything is at equilibrium, I've come with two equations (again in picture, going to be easier):

IXZa6.jpg

At that point I am stuck because I don't see any more equations involving those three unknown variables(a,c, TAB) I can do. So I have 3 unknown variables but only two equations.

Could someone please help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered using some of the trig laws? The law of cosines and the law of sines come to mind.

FAQ: Forces in equilibrium. Tension, ring, pulley and lots of string [With Picture]

1. What is meant by "forces in equilibrium"?

Forces in equilibrium means that all of the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a state of rest or constant motion. In other words, the net force on the object is zero.

2. How is tension calculated in a system with multiple strings and pulleys?

Tension can be calculated using the equation T = mg, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. In a system with multiple strings and pulleys, the tension must be the same in each string and can be found by using this equation for each string and solving for T.

3. What role does the ring play in a system with strings and a pulley?

The ring acts as a support for the strings and helps to distribute the tension evenly. It also allows the strings to move freely and change direction as needed.

4. How does the number of strings or pulleys affect the tension in a system?

The number of strings or pulleys does not affect the tension in a system. As long as the forces acting on the object are balanced, the tension will remain the same regardless of the number of strings or pulleys.

5. What other factors can affect the equilibrium of a system with tension and pulleys?

Other factors that can affect the equilibrium of a system with tension and pulleys include the mass of the object, the angle at which the strings are pulling, and any external forces acting on the system, such as friction or air resistance.