Forces Involved in an Electrical Motor According to Newton's Law

In summary, the conversation is about building an electrical motor and calculating the forces involved according to Newton's laws. The person has provided pictures and drawings of two different scenarios and has asked for confirmation on the forces involved. They also question the labeling of the magnets and the conflicting forces shown in the second scenario. The expert clarifies that the forces labeled on the magnets are the forces acting against them when the electromagnet is turned on and points out the violation of Newton's 3rd law in the second scenario.
nelson_qna
Hi Everyone.

I've been trying to build an electrical motor and would like know the method to actually calculate the forces exerted on several parts in the motor according to Newton's laws. I've attached some pictures and drawings of the motor I'm trying to build. There are two scenarios that I've considered. Scenario 1 (Please see drawings Scenario 1) & Scenario 2 (Please see drawing Scenario 2)

Question 1 - "According to Drawing in Scenario 1"

Is my interpretation of all the forces involved in the motor correct according to Newton's Law? (Dismissing Friction Of Course)

Question 2 - "According to Drawing in Scenario 2"

In scenario 2 is all the forces involved in the drawing of scenario 2 correct and does it violets Newton's laws?

It feels wrong as 10N is acting on the 4 bolts in the + direction and 5N is acting on the pin (Q) in the - Direction. This 2 forces should be equal according to Newton's laws. If not there will be a nett force of -5N acting on the table. I just can't see how 10N of force is transferred from the permanent magnets to point Q where the bearing pivots.

Please Explain Thank You.

Attachments

• Scenario 1.jpg
    Scenario 1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 491
  • Scenario 2.jpg
    Scenario 2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
Why are the magnets labeled "10N magnet" and "5N magnet". What property of the magnets is 10 and 5 Newtons?

The 10N & 5N are the forces acting against the magnet when the electromagnet is turned on.

nelson_qna said:
The 10N & 5N are the forces acting against the magnet when the electromagnet is turned on.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your diagram but it looks like in scenario 2 you have a 10N force acting against a 5N force. According to Newton's 3rd law, this is not something that could happen in nature. Both magnets have to be experiencing the same force.

Hello,

I can provide some information on the forces involved in an electrical motor according to Newton's Laws.

Firstly, it is important to understand that Newton's Laws of Motion are fundamental laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. These laws apply to all types of motion, including the motion of objects within an electrical motor.

In Scenario 1, the forces involved are correct according to Newton's Laws. The motor is powered by an electrical current, which creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnets on the rotor. This interaction creates a force that causes the rotor to rotate. The force acting on the rotor is equal to the force acting on the stator, as stated in Newton's Third Law.

In Scenario 2, the forces involved are also correct according to Newton's Laws. The 10N force acting on the bolts is equal and opposite to the 5N force acting on the pin (Q). This is in accordance with Newton's Third Law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The 10N force is transferred from the permanent magnets to point Q through the rotor, which is connected to the pin and bearing.

It is important to note that while the forces may seem unbalanced in this scenario, they are actually balanced within the system as a whole. The motor is designed to rotate, so the net force acting on the table is not relevant in this case.

In conclusion, the forces involved in an electrical motor are in accordance with Newton's Laws of Motion. The motor is a complex system that involves various forces, but they all follow the principles outlined by Newton's Laws. I hope this explanation helps you in your motor-building journey. Good luck!

Related to Forces Involved in an Electrical Motor According to Newton's Law

1. What are the forces involved in an electrical motor according to Newton's Law?

The forces involved in an electrical motor according to Newton's Law are the magnetic force, the electrical force, and the mechanical force.

2. How does Newton's Law apply to an electrical motor?

Newton's Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In an electrical motor, the electrical force produces a magnetic field, which then interacts with the magnetic field of the motor's permanent magnets. This interaction creates a force that causes the motor to rotate.

3. What role does the magnetic force play in an electrical motor?

The magnetic force is responsible for creating the rotational motion in an electrical motor. It is produced by the interaction between the magnetic field of the motor's permanent magnets and the magnetic field produced by the flow of electricity through the motor's coils.

4. How does the electrical force contribute to the operation of an electrical motor?

The electrical force is responsible for powering an electrical motor. When an electrical current is applied to the motor's coils, it creates an electromagnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets, producing a force that causes the motor to rotate.

5. What is the mechanical force in an electrical motor and how is it generated?

The mechanical force is the force that results in the motor's rotation. It is generated by the interaction between the magnetic force and the electrical force, which causes the motor to rotate and perform mechanical work.