Forces on the slope of a triangular block

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving an inclined plane and the relationship between the acceleration of the block and the system. The solution involves using Newton's 2nd law of motion and considering both vertical and horizontal axes. There is a discrepancy between the solution provided in the answer book and the attempted solution, which may be due to neglecting the y forces.
caspeerrr

Homework Statement

I uploaded the question as an attached file.

Homework Equations

Fz = mg , F = ma ,

The Attempt at a Solution

The slope : x
Perpendicular to the slope: y
I thought the Y forces can be neglected because the normal force counters the y component of the gravitational force.
Fz,x = mg sinθ
Without an external force, Fz,x is the only force along the x-axis. So the acceleration a=F/m. This acceleration must be equal to the acceleration of the big block, so F=Ma = (mgsinθ)/m * M = Mgsinθ.
This seems logical to me but the answer book states a totally different answer: (m+M)gtanθ.
What did I do wrong?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Knipsel.PNG
    Knipsel.PNG
    49.8 KB · Views: 531
Physics news on Phys.org
What we require here is for the acceleration of the block down the incline plane to be equal to the acceleration of the system along the plane:

##a\cos(\theta)=g\sin(\theta)##

Now, use Newton's 2nd law of motion to rewrite ##a##, and solve for ##\vec{F}##.

caspeerrr said:
I thought the Y forces can be neglected
The acceleration of the block has a component in the y direction, so the y direction forces contribute to it.
caspeerrr said:
The slope : x
Perpendicular to the slope: y
The hint said to use vertical and horizontal axes.

Related to Forces on the slope of a triangular block

1. What is the force acting on a triangular block on a slope?

The force acting on a triangular block on a slope is the weight of the block, which is the force exerted by gravity on the mass of the block. This force always acts downwards towards the center of the Earth.

2. How is the force of gravity related to the slope of the block?

The force of gravity is directly proportional to the slope of the block. This means that as the slope of the block increases, the force of gravity acting on the block also increases.

3. What other forces may act on a triangular block on a slope?

In addition to the force of gravity, there may be other forces acting on a triangular block on a slope, such as friction, normal force, and applied forces. These forces can either oppose or support the motion of the block.

4. How does the angle of the slope affect the forces on a triangular block?

The angle of the slope directly affects the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on a triangular block. As the angle of the slope increases, the force of gravity acting on the block also increases, while the normal force decreases. This can result in a greater net force and cause the block to accelerate downwards.

5. How can the forces on a triangular block on a slope be calculated?

The forces on a triangular block on a slope can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and trigonometry. By breaking down the forces into their components and using the appropriate equations, the magnitude and direction of each force can be determined.