Forces transferred to beam and to supports from box

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the load transferred on beams and supports from a cargo to be stored in a yard. The issue is a statically indeterminate problem and options include using an FEA model, solving for force sums, or making educated guesses.
JEngineer
Hi Guys,
I am trying to calculate the load transferred on the beams and then to the four supports (two under each beam) from a cargo (in this case say a box) to be stored in a yard.
I have to check the suitable beam to be used and the load transferred to each support.

Thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

• Sample Model.pdf
    18 KB · Views: 234
Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:
The link isn't working for me (is it for anyone else?), so could you provide the details included in it?

Comeback City said:
:welcome:
The link isn't working for me (is it for anyone else?), so could you provide the details included in it?

I hope it works now...!

Attachments

• sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 391
upload_2017-3-30_13-1-24.png

As you are probably discovering, this is a statically indeterminate problem. The loads depend upon the deflections, both in the beams and in the box. You can write a vertical sum of forces equal to zero and moments in each horizontal axis equal to zero, but that only gives you three equations.

Your options are ---
1) Do an FEA model;
2) Solve for force sums (e.g., the sum of the forces at the left end, rather than taking them individually)
3) Make a group of guesses that satisfy the three equations.

For most engineering purposes, a combination of 2) and 3) will be sufficient. If you want to get very precise, go with 1).

FAQ: Forces transferred to beam and to supports from box

1. What is meant by "forces transferred to beam and to supports from box?"

When a box or object is placed on a beam, it exerts a downward force due to gravity. This force is then transferred to the beam as well as the supports that hold the beam in place.

2. How are the forces transferred to the beam and supports calculated?

The forces transferred to the beam and supports can be calculated using the principles of statics, specifically the equations of equilibrium. These equations take into account the weight of the box, the length of the beam, and the support configurations to determine the magnitude and direction of the forces.

3. What factors can affect the forces transferred to the beam and supports?

The forces transferred to the beam and supports can be affected by several factors, including the weight and size of the box, the material and dimensions of the beam, and the support configurations. Additionally, external factors like wind or vibrations can also affect these forces.

4. How do the forces transferred to the beam and supports impact the structural integrity?

The forces transferred to the beam and supports play a crucial role in the structural integrity of the overall system. If the forces exceed the weight-bearing capacity of the beam or the supports, it can lead to structural failure and potential collapse. Therefore, it is important to accurately calculate and account for these forces in the design and construction of the beam and supports.

5. Can the forces transferred to the beam and supports be reduced or minimized?

Yes, the forces transferred to the beam and supports can be reduced by optimizing the design of the beam and supports. This can include using stronger or thicker materials, changing the support configurations, or adding additional supports. It is important to consult with a structural engineer to ensure the forces are within safe limits and the beam and supports are designed appropriately.

Back