Forces Vectors And Dot Products

In summary: The dot product of Fa and Fb is actually the sum of the product of their components in each direction. In summary, the conversation discussed the forces and positions of atoms in an ensemble and asked questions about dot products and their relation to attractive forces between atoms.
ewan_71
Hello all :smile:,

I am interested in the following problem:

In an ensemble of atoms, the forces on atom A and atom B are given by the vectors Fa=Fax+Fay+Faz and Fb=Fbx+Fby+Fbz, respectively.

There respective positions are given by,

Pa=Pax+Pay+Paz and Pb=Pbx+Pby+Pbz

I have two questions:

(1) Would I be right in thinking that the dot product of Fa and Pb will give the magnitude of the force on atom A in the direction of atom B?

(2) Also, is the dot product of Fa and Fb the attractive force between the atoms?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile::smile:!

Ewan.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ewan_71 said:
Hello all :smile:,

I am interested in the following problem:

In an ensemble of atoms, the forces on atom A and atom B are given by the vectors Fa=Fax+Fay+Faz and Fb=Fbx+Fby+Fbz, respectively.

There respective positions are given by,

Pa=Pax+Pay+Paz and Pb=Pbx+Pby+Pbz

If they are vectors, use vector notation. Your notation doesn't make any sense.
[tex]\vec F_a = \langle a_1,a_2,a_3\rangle,\ \vec F_b = \langle b_1,b_2,b_3\rangle[/tex]

[tex]\vec P_a = \langle p_1,p_2,p_3\rangle,\ \vec P_b = \langle q_1,q_2,q_3\rangle[/tex]

I have two questions:

(1) Would I be right in thinking that the dot product of Fa and Pb will give the magnitude of the force on atom A in the direction of atom B?
[/quote]

No. The direction from atom A to atom B would be

[tex]\vec D = \vec P_b - \vec P_a[/tex]
and you need to dot it into a unit vector in that direction.

(2) Also, is the dot product of Fa and Fb the attractive force between the atoms?

No, but it probably has something to do with the first question.

Related to Forces Vectors And Dot Products

1. What is a force vector?

A force vector is a representation of a force that includes both magnitude and direction. It is typically represented as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the force and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the force.

2. How are forces and vectors related?

Forces can be represented as vectors because they have both magnitude and direction. This allows us to use vector operations, such as addition and subtraction, to analyze and solve problems involving forces.

3. What is the dot product of two force vectors?

The dot product of two force vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. This product represents the component of one vector in the direction of the other vector.

4. How is the dot product used in physics?

The dot product is used in physics to calculate the work done by a force. It is also used to find the angle between two vectors and to determine the magnitude of a vector in a specific direction.

5. Can vectors be added or subtracted if they are not in the same direction?

Yes, vectors can be added or subtracted even if they are not in the same direction. This is because vectors have both magnitude and direction, so we can use vector operations, such as the parallelogram rule or the head-to-tail method, to add or subtract them regardless of their direction.