Forces with direction and magnitude

In summary, the forces acting on the particle are 3*sqr-root 5 Newtons and sqr-root 5 Newtons, which are directed perpendicular to the vectors i+2j and i-2j. The total force, therefore, is 4i+4j Newtons.
dopey9
Forces/couple!

particle of mass m kilograms is acted on by two forces F[1] and F[2] with magnitudes 3*sqr-root 5 Newtons and sqr-root 5 Newtons and directions parallel to the vectors i+2j and i-2j respectively.
The particle is initially at a position given by the vector 2i+j

i was told to calculate the cartesian components of F[1] and F[2] and hence calculate the total force F[1] + F[2], acting on the particle in component form

MY SOLUTION

The vector i+ 2j has length sqrt{1^2+ 2^2}= sqrt{5}[
A vector in that direction, with length is just 3 times that: 3i+ 6j. That's the first force vector.
Similarly, the vector i- 2j also has length root5 so that is the second force vector. The total force, then, is F1+ F2= (3i+ 6j)+ (i- 2j)= 4i+4j

from there i need to show the couple of the total force about the point with position vector i is zero...so the total force is 4i+4j ......

I would appreaciate a explanation to how to tackle this Q, so I can do it myself...but I am assuming that it is a single force and a couple cannot be put in equilibrium by a single force so it must be zero? is that correct??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really sure where you are getting your calculations from. They might be right, but you would have to maybe explain them a little more because I don't really understand where you are getting things such as the length is just 3 times the slope of the force. The way I would approach the problem is to take your two forces and resolve them into component form, so {i_1; j_1; i_2; j_2}, and then add them together.

dopey9 said:
particle of mass m kilograms is acted on by two forces F[1] and F[2] with magnitudes 3*sqr-root 5 Newtons and sqr-root 5 Newtons and directions parallel to the vectors i+2j and i-2j respectively.

i was told to calculate the cartesian components of F[1] and F[2] and hence calculate the total force F[1] + F[2], acting on the particle in component form

MY SOLUTION

The vector i+ 2j has length sqrt{1^2+ 2^2}= sqrt{5}[
A vector in that direction, with length is just 3 times that: 3i+ 6j. That's the first force vector.
Similarly, the vector i- 2j also has length root5 so that is the second force vector. The total force, then, is F1+ F2= (3i+ 6j)+ (i- 2j)= 4i+4j
This all sounds correct to me
from there i need to show the couple of the total force about the point with position vector i is zero...so the total force is 4i+4j ......

This is where I am losing you. You said earlier that the particle is at the position 2i +j. So why are we talking about position "i" here?
And by
couple" what do you mean? The torque? I am not sure what 'couple" means.

I would appreaciate a explanation to how to tackle this Q, so I can do it myself...but I am assuming that it is a single force and a couple cannot be put in equilibrium by a single force so it must be zero? is that correct??

nrqed said:
This all sounds correct to me

This is where I am losing you. You said earlier that the particle is at the position 2i +j. So why are we talking about position "i" here?
And by
couple" what do you mean? The torque? I am not sure what 'couple" means.

but this is what i have taken from a past paper...it says "the couple of the total force about the point with position vector i is zero" ...its confusing me too...thankz for the help tho

dopey9 said:
but this is what i have taken from a past paper...it says "the couple of the total force about the point with position vector i is zero" ...its confusing me too...thankz for the help tho
Ok. By "past paper" do you mean it's a question taken from a book?!
Is there a drawing? Could you post the entire question as it is phrased there? Is this for an engineering class or a physics class? Have you covered torque?

I am asking all this simply because I wish I could be more helpful!

Patrick

nrqed said:
Ok. By "past paper" do you mean it's a question taken from a book?!
Is there a drawing? Could you post the entire question as it is phrased there? Is this for an engineering class or a physics class? Have you covered torque?

I am asking all this simply because I wish I could be more helpful!

Patrick

Dont worry about it ...iv left it out..thankz for help...but if u do want the full question ...the first one i posted...and the last one i jus posted ...and that's all i was given..there was no diagram thankz anyway

A couple is two equal and opposite forces times the perpindicular distance between them. Thus the body on which the couple acts will rotate, but not translate.

Last edited:
dopey9 said:

Ok, I'm ignoring everything in the solution, although some of it indicates you're answering another question

To break a vector into cartesian components, first you need to know the angle of the vector with respect to the x-axis. You would do this by taking arctan(y/x) of the direction it's in (y=j component, x=i component). Once you know the angle (call it a), you can find the x and y components by doing fcos(a) and fsin(a). Then add them together (keep in mind one force has positive and one negative y direction)

Related to Forces with direction and magnitude

1. What is a force with direction and magnitude?

A force with direction and magnitude is a vector quantity that describes the push or pull applied to an object. It includes both the direction in which the force is acting and the strength of the force.

2. How is a force with direction and magnitude represented?

A force with direction and magnitude is typically represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the strength of the force and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction in which the force is acting.

3. What are some examples of forces with direction and magnitude?

Examples of forces with direction and magnitude include tension, friction, gravity, and applied forces such as pushing or pulling an object. These can act in any direction and have different magnitudes depending on the situation.

4. How are forces with direction and magnitude calculated?

Forces with direction and magnitude are calculated using vector addition. This involves breaking down the forces into their x and y components and then adding them together using mathematical equations or graphical methods.

5. Why is it important to consider direction and magnitude when studying forces?

The direction and magnitude of a force are crucial in determining the resulting motion of an object. Without considering these factors, it would be impossible to accurately predict the movement of an object or understand the interactions between different objects in a system.