Forgotten my maths Simple 1D ODE, spherical coordinates

In summary, the individual is seeking help with remembering how to deal with a certain equation in math. The equation involves a chain rule and a production rate, and the individual is having trouble solving it due to an undefined answer. They are looking for advice and assistance in solving the equation.
JHZR2
Hi,

I seem to have forgotten some of my math how-to, as I haven't done this in a while. Looking through my notes, Bird, Stewart and Lightfoot, Greenberg, etc. don't really help.

My equation is this, at steady state:

0 = 1/r^2 ∂/∂r (D*r^2 ∂C/∂r) + P

Where P is some production rate.

So the thing that I'm just not remembering is how to deal with the basic function:

∂/∂r (r^2 ∂C/∂r) in terms of how to deal with it to make it solvable.

I was kind of under the impression that I should do a chain rule to make it a real ODE, which gives me:

0 = D*( ∂2C/∂r2 + 2/r ∂C/∂r) + P

Problem is that the 2/r would integrate into log(r). Implementing the BC for the sphere that at r=0, ∂C/∂r=0, I would have an undefined answer since I'd have Log(0).

So something is wrong.

Ive tried searching around, but most places just glaze over the operation to solve this. I don't think it is that hard, but my brain is empty on this at this point - I've forgotten how.

Can anyone advise and/or point me in the right direction?

Thanks very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi JHZR2! :smile:
JHZR2 said:
0 = 1/r^2 ∂/∂r (D*r^2 ∂C/∂r) + P

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

Rewrite it as ∂/∂r (D*r2 ∂C/∂r) = -Pr2, and integrate. :wink:

Related to Forgotten my maths Simple 1D ODE, spherical coordinates

1. What is a "Simple 1D ODE" in maths?

A Simple 1D ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that involves only one independent variable and its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its derivative(s), and is commonly used to model physical phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate points in three-dimensional space. It uses three coordinates: radial distance (r), polar angle (θ), and azimuthal angle (φ). This system is commonly used in physics and engineering, particularly in problems involving spheres, cones, and other curved surfaces.

3. How do I solve a 1D ODE using spherical coordinates?

To solve a 1D ODE using spherical coordinates, you will need to use the chain rule to convert the equation from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ). From there, you can use various techniques such as separation of variables, integration, or substitution to solve the equation and find the desired function.

4. What are some real-life applications of 1D ODEs in spherical coordinates?

1D ODEs in spherical coordinates have various real-life applications, such as in celestial mechanics to model the motion of planets and satellites, in fluid mechanics to describe the flow of fluids in curved pipes or channels, and in electrostatics to calculate the electric field around charged spherical objects.

5. What is the importance of remembering 1D ODEs in spherical coordinates?

Remembering 1D ODEs in spherical coordinates is important for solving complex mathematical and physical problems in various fields. It also helps in developing a deeper understanding of the relationships between different variables and their effects on the overall system. Additionally, many advanced mathematical concepts and techniques build upon the fundamentals of 1D ODEs in spherical coordinates, making them crucial for further studies in mathematics and science.