Formal properties of eigenfunctions

In summary, the conversation is about proving that energy eigenstates can always be chosen to be purely real functions, even though the physical wavefunction is necessarily complex. This does not mean that every energy eigenfunction is real, but if one is not real, it can always be written as a complex linear combination of two real eigenstates with the same energy. The hint suggests that the eigenfunction satisfies the Schrodinger equation, and can be shown to do so for its real and imaginary parts separately.
black_hole

Homework Statement

Give a physicist's proof of the following statements regarding energy eigenfunctions:
(a) We can always choose the energy eigenstates E(x) we work with to be purely real
functions (unlike the physical wavefunction, which is necessarily complex). Note: This does not mean that every energy eigenfunction is real, rather if you fi nd an eigenfunction that is not real, it can always be written as a complex linear combination
of two real eigenstates with the same energy.

Hint: If E(x) is an energy eigenstate with energy eigenvalue E, what can be said about E(x)
?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard to deciphering here what is warranted I show in this problem. Does anyone know what this is trying to get at. Maybe my mathematical experience with proofs is getting in the way because I'm trying to do it more generally.

Physics news on Phys.org
black_hole said:

Homework Statement

Give a physicist's proof of the following statements regarding energy eigenfunctions:
(a) We can always choose the energy eigenstates E(x) we work with to be purely real
functions (unlike the physical wavefunction, which is necessarily complex). Note: This does not mean that every energy eigenfunction is real, rather if you find an eigenfunction that is not real, it can always be written as a complex linear combination
of two real eigenstates with the same energy.

Hint: If E(x) is an energy eigenstate with energy eigenvalue E, what can be said about E(x)
?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard to deciphering here what is warranted I show in this problem. Does anyone know what this is trying to get at. Maybe my mathematical experience with proofs is getting in the way because I'm trying to do it more generally.

The hint is probably that it satisfies the Schrodinger equation. Can you show that the real and imaginary parts satisfy the equation separately? Show this wouldn't be true if the eigenvalue were not real.

Last edited:

FAQ: Formal properties of eigenfunctions

1. What are eigenfunctions?

Eigenfunctions are specific functions that are associated with a linear operator, where the output is equal to a constant multiplied by the input. They are often used in the field of mathematics and physics to describe the behavior of a system.

2. What are the formal properties of eigenfunctions?

The formal properties of eigenfunctions include orthogonality, completeness, and the ability to form a basis. Orthogonality means that two eigenfunctions with different eigenvalues are perpendicular to each other. Completeness means that any function can be expressed as a linear combination of eigenfunctions. And the ability to form a basis means that a set of eigenfunctions can be used to describe all possible solutions to a linear operator.

3. How are eigenfunctions and eigenvalues related?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues are closely related in that each eigenfunction has a corresponding eigenvalue. The eigenvalue represents the constant by which the input of the eigenfunction is multiplied to produce the output. Different eigenvalues correspond to different eigenfunctions.

4. What is the significance of eigenfunctions in quantum mechanics?

Eigenfunctions play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they are used to describe the energy states of particles. In this context, the eigenvalues represent the possible energy levels that a particle can have. The eigenfunctions also determine the probability of finding a particle in a specific energy state.

5. Can eigenfunctions be visualized?

Eigenfunctions can be visualized in certain cases, such as when they represent the standing waves of a vibrating string or the energy levels of an electron in an atom. However, in many cases, eigenfunctions are abstract mathematical concepts and cannot be easily visualized.

Back