Former engineer, currently upgrading in physics

In summary, the conversation is about a person who did a degree in electrical engineering but graduated with a low GPA due to personal circumstances. They have a passion for physics and are looking to pursue graduate studies in quantum optics. However, they are worried about their past grades affecting their chances of being accepted into a research group. The other person suggests taking a research "course" over the summer to gain experience and get a good recommendation letter. They also mention that these research opportunities are not very competitive and professors are more interested in students who are willing to work hard.
irongoat
Greetings,

I did a degree in electrical engineering a few years ago from ottawa
university, and due to some immaturity and life circumstances (got
a nasty bout of mono in my first year and barely made it through)
graduated with an atrocious 2.5 GPA.

I've always had a love and appreciation of physics, and my math
physics grades have always been decent (B-range) though my eng
classes have been less so. I've wanted to
do graduate studies for a long time, and have been upgrading at
U of T in the hopes of becoming a competitive applicant. Recent
years have shown an upward trend of B to B+ in senior classes.

After a lot of research, reading threads and the like, I'm getting the
sense that the competition is very fierce particularly in my subject
of interest (quantum optics) and that even an upward trend will be
met with failure if I were to apply to any serious research groups.
Most departments won't even glance at an application that isn't
B+ or better. I can't correct the past grades, and in spite of improvement
they seem to be a death-knell to any prospective supervisor.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could proceed? I feel quite
defeated in pursuing my goals, and my peers/professors haven't been
much help.

Charlie

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay I'll offer you some specific advice because I too am a UofT physics student.

The physics department offers research "courses" over the summer for credit. I suggest that you take one of these "courses". You basically become a part of a research group (usually of your choice, depending on availability), doing the same job as someone with an NSERC or REU, but you don't get paid.

This will give you the chance to get to know a professor well enough, who might hire you next summer or give you a good recommendation letter. If a professor sees first hand that you do good work, they won't care about your past grades. When a grad school committee looks at your application, research experience and strong letters of recommendation outweigh old grades that are not completely relevant anyways.

There are a healthy amount of research groups in quantum optics at the department and I know a few students (undergrad) working with them over the summer. Talk to the undergraduate chair about these opportunities. Good luck.

Good suggestion Retro10x, I will probably apply next summer assuming I can keep my grades
in the B to B+ range. I know the ROP positions are also pretty competitive, I just hope prospective
supervisors can keep those numbers in context. Any thoughts on how competitive these ROP's are?

Charlie

They're not that competitive. If you have a B-B+ GPA you'll be fine. Professors love ROP students because they're free and also willing to work hard (because it's for credit and you get a mark). The professor just needs to know you're not going to waste their time, there is an interview for each one you apply for and you'll probably need to write a cover letter. All of the 4.0 students have REU/NSERC's anyways: they're not interested in ROP

It is commendable that you have recognized your passion for physics and have taken steps to upgrade your academic background in order to pursue your goals. I can assure you that determination and persistence are key qualities in this field, and I am confident that with the right approach, you can achieve your aspirations.

Firstly, I would encourage you to focus on your strengths and highlight them in your application. Your love and appreciation for physics and your decent math physics grades demonstrate your aptitude for the subject. By showcasing your interest and skills in this area, you can demonstrate to potential supervisors that you have the potential to excel in graduate studies.

Furthermore, I would suggest reaching out to professors or researchers in your field of interest and discussing your situation with them. They may be able to provide valuable advice and guidance on how to strengthen your application and stand out in a competitive pool of applicants. Additionally, they may be able to offer opportunities for research or internships that can further enhance your experience and qualifications.

Finally, do not let your past grades discourage you. While they may be a factor in the admissions process, they do not define your potential as a scientist. Continue to work hard and improve your academic performance, but also focus on developing your skills and experience through research, internships, and other opportunities. With determination and perseverance, I am confident that you will find success in your pursuit of graduate studies in physics.

FAQ: Former engineer, currently upgrading in physics

1. What is the difference between engineering and physics?

Engineering is the application of scientific knowledge to design and build structures, machines, systems, and processes. Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. While engineering uses principles from physics, it focuses more on practical applications, whereas physics focuses on understanding the fundamental laws of the universe.

2. Why did you switch from engineering to physics?

I switched from engineering to physics because I wanted to deepen my understanding of the fundamental laws that govern the universe. While engineering is a fascinating field, I was drawn to the theoretical and analytical aspects of physics.

3. What skills from engineering are useful in studying physics?

Engineering and physics both require strong analytical and problem-solving skills. In engineering, I learned how to apply mathematical and scientific principles to design and build practical solutions. These skills are also crucial in studying physics, as it involves solving complex problems and understanding abstract concepts.

4. How does studying physics benefit society?

Studying physics has many practical applications that benefit society. It has led to advancements in technology, medicine, and energy, among others. Understanding the laws of physics helps us develop new technologies and improve existing ones, leading to a better quality of life for everyone.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with a background in engineering and physics?

Someone with a background in engineering and physics has a wide range of career opportunities. They can work in research and development, academic institutions, or in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology. They can also pursue careers in data science, finance, and consulting, as these fields value analytical and problem-solving skills.